Front teeth hurting after playing.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I've just got back from a band rehearsal, and after a lot of loud blowing I noticed that my top front teeth were hurting a little. Nothing too painful, but quite uncomfortable when I 'prodded' them to make sure they weren't about to fall out.

Do you think this could be due to too much pressure on the mouthpiece when playing loud dynamics?

Not noticed it for a few years, but it came back tonight. Had three band rehearsals in three nights, so could be wear and tear from blowing a lot I guess. There are a lot of loud dynamics in The Dark Side Of The Moon!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Get an appointment with your dentist ASAP. Better safe than sorry!
  3. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Agreed... Your teeth shouldn't be hurting no matter how high, loud, fast or anything else you play! Get to the dentist ASAP! Good luck....
  4. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Funny you say that, because I had an appointment only last week and he said everything was perfect!

I think the problem is perhaps too much pressure from the mouthpiece on my teeth, and it's pushing them back (or trying to).

I need to use less pressure I think when playing loud/high...
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- does he know that you are a brass player? Take my word for it that although it hopefully might be a temporary problem you don't want to see it develop into a long term one!
  6. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Sounds like you may need to work on your embouchere my friend. Have you changed mouthpiece lately? Do you usually rehearse that much?
  7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Don't panic! Your teeth are held in by ligament type tissue which has an amount of flexibility under pressure..... thus your teeth are not gonna break everytime you knock them! Sustained pressure will mean they will move to avoid injury and this process can cause discomfort (kind of like what a wire from a brace does). When left alone again they will reset themselves and recover.:tup Maybe don't try so hard and try to use less pressure?

Ain't the body a marvellous thing!!:clap:
  8. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Yes until it starts hurting!

On a serious note, that sounds like what's happening. It's almost like having a tight brace on (which I did for three whole years...) when playing with alot of pressure.

The metal is pushing and pushing on the teeth and eventually the teeth are going to say "S*d this, I'm moving" and regress into my throat somewhere, only to reappear afterwards with a sigh of relief and a polite request to play the violin instead.
  9. Robhibberd29

You sound like you know what you're talking about, are you in the Dental profession DM?
  10. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Used to be! Before I escaped to the life of anti-social hours and stress that is nursing!!! What was I thinking???:confused: ;)
  11. Robhibberd29

Fool! Don't talk to me about anti social hours, I work 3 shifts which isn't good, especially when you miss band rehearsals so much. Ah well, at least my teeth don't hurt!!
  12. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Neither do mine! if u check the time of my posts it will reveal that I'm on nightshift (3rd of 4) this week and another 3 next week! So due to my band rehearsing tuesdays and thursdays that'll be a fortnight away from band! So there!! But at least I've got all my rests to practice while i'm away!;)
  13. Robhibberd29

The time of your posts don't reveal that you're on night shift, only that you're on tmp, you could just as easily be at home couldnt you!

I sympathise with you missing two weeks of rehearsal though. One week is killing me! Funnily enough I've got 78 bars rest to practice in the 2nd movement in 4cities (Paris) which I think I've just about got off to a tee...
  14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Aye but trust me, if i'm up at this time at home and on tmp its generally because i've been on nights and my bodyclock is all stuffed up! otherwise it's all about work!!
    what's your excuse???;)
  15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

16. Despot

Despot Member

At a guess I'd say it's a technique problem. Instead of using plenty of air to get the high and loud notes, you're using pressure.

Get a few lessons from reputable cornet/trumpet teacher who'll show you how to come around that.

I've been told the book "Arnold Jacobs:Song and Wind by Brian Frederiksen" covers this topic, but I can't say as I'm waiting for it to arrive in the post!
  17. leisa

leisa Active Member

Matt, you put too much pressure on your teeth when your playing you seem to force the instrument to your face and sort of tense up a bit i think you just need to erlax a little more when you play! :p
  18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well that's one solution to playing with too much pressure - spare pants might be in order though.:D
  19. leisa

leisa Active Member

oh dear, i think ive got typing dyslexia today :-?
  20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that. I always thought that was the case, but when I recently mentioned to my dentist that my front teeth occasionally felt as though they 'gave' slightly under pressure (usually only after 'extreme' big band gigs) she said it wasn't possible.

... Confused now ...:confused: