From Last to First at Buxton

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by andyfake, May 7, 2007.

1. andyfake

andyfake Member

After last May's debacle, you could have forgiven The Kippax Band for giving the Buxton contest a miss this year. Indeed, things were looking pretty bleak as recently as Monday, when a shortage of percussionists forced a quick change of test piece, falling back onto "Carnival" from the Area contest. However, go they did and gave a superb performance of the piece, taking first place by two clear points.
    Adjudicator Colin Hardy was clearly impressed, his remarks during the 2nd movement “Pavane” simply stating: “sorry for not writing – just enjoying”!
    The band have definitely put last year’s last place well behind them now – in fact they have not been out of the prizes in the last 12 months, recording 3 first places and 3 runners-up spots in the six contests they have entered.
    This one probably won’t do much for Kippax’s World Ranking position, but the £400 prize just paid for the bus and there’s another piece of silverware in the Band Club!
  2. dalizzie

dalizzie New Member

Well done to Keith and the band, you will need a bigger trophy case before long!
    Dave Fretwell.
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Indeed, Well done!!!
    A Shout out to Wilky and Steve B, You guys doing Boarshurst today?
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well played. Good result!

We might have run you closer if I hadn't messed up me bass solo though! ;)
  5. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

Thanks Dave, it was a nice day

Some pleasant banding all round and for us all to enjoy, just wish there wasn't that "outside thing" to have to put up with... and the rain!! OMG!

Enjoyed playing, enjoyed listening, enjoyed winning.

Would love to see more entries though, it's a nice one to do.

See you soon.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Don't fret - We've all been there !
    - Wilkie
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Hi "Hells Bones" - Nice to hear from you again.
    No, not doing Boarshurst.
    We've just done a gig tonight along with two local bands from Garforth.
    The gig was masterminded by Alan Morrison and the Arts College, what a star that guy is, so professional.
    Steve B. and "The Lovely Tracey" were on good form, as were most of the band - a good, sociable enjoyable night.
    We rattled off "The Sorcerers Apprentice" and "Zulu" which I think went down well.
    Alan Morrison played about 6 solos brilliantly which I hope proved an inspiration to the many young local players who were present.
    Keep blowing Anthony,
    - Wilkie
  8. agentorange

agentorange Member

Sounds like i missed a good night (Colin asked me to help out earlier this week). Instead i'm stuck at work, keeping up to date via TMP. Good to see Kippax doing well.

9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yes, it was a great night, but I've no doubt whatsoever that we'll have the odd gig together in the future.
    - Wilkie
  10. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

11. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

The mind boggles! - Just imagine if Michael Caine had been a Yorkshireman?

"Ey'up owd Lt. Shad, t'Zulus - t'housands of 'em.

Reet then lads, Sing!"

"On Ilkley Moor Baht'at"

12. oddbod

oddbod Member

Zulu - That's a belting arrangement Roger - it could have been twice as hard to play and half as good to listen to if it had been done wrong.

Talking of Michael Caine being a Yorkshireman - have you heard that John Barry's research really was wrong? - based on 1960's Army battalion numbering - due to an Army re-numbering exercise in the early 20th century - at the time of Zulu, that Battalion in 18xx (Whatever)... was not The Welsh Borderers - actually something like the Worcester Foresters! - although Men of Harlech does sound more blazing than “Dashing Away with a Smoothing Iron”.. or whatever is sung in Worcester...
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Whole thing would never have happened if it wasn't for an utter disaster a few days earlier at Isandlwhana, where once again, the british generals got it completely wrong, and assumed they were dealing with idiots, not intelligent, warrior people who'd been trained to fight since they were big enough to hold a spear.

I'm not sure if it's ever really made clear in the film, but Rourke's Drift wasn't just an isolated pocket of soldiers, cut off from the main force.... it was more like the rearguard action for the entire British army in africa!
  14. postie

postie Member

Totally agree what a great arrangement Brian bought it at Wychavon last September. We haven't as yet played the piece in a concert.