'Friends' web link leads to Euphonium Premiere

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Highams, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Highams

Highams Member

A friends web site link has led to the UK premiere of a new work for Euphonium by a young American composer Edward D. Messerschmidt.

Edward is from Woodbridge, Virginia and originally composed the piece for Euphonium & Marimba and writes, “The piece has now been performed twice. Both times Joseph Bello of the U.S. Air Force Ceremonial Brass played the euphonium part. The second performance was with my father, retired percussion group leader of the U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own), playing the marimba.”

Willson Euphonium artist Charley Brighton will perform a new version for Euphonium & Piano by the composer in his next recital on February 17th. in Slough.

There will also be the premiere of a new Theme & Variations by 15 year old Michael Iles from Angus, a cornet player and a member of the National Youth Brass Band of Scotland.

One more ‘first’ performance will be a new setting of the classic ‘The Impossible Dream’ by Terry Treherne, again especially for this recital from his wind band score.

The other works in the programme will be Rodney Newton’s Riders of Rohan and a little known Flute piece by Malcolm Arnold, Solitaire.

Malcolm Stowell will be at the piano and the recital is free. A wide selection of vintage Euphoniums dating back to 1891 will also be on display (and performed on!).

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Edward D. Messerschmidt
    Euphonium
    UK
    American
    Euphonium Premiere A
  3. robcav

robcav Member

I've tried this link before when I accessed Charley Brighton's website via Steven Mead's but unfortunately I didn't seem to be able to access the link.

On the matter of new euphonium music, I wondered if anyone could advise me or point me in the right direction of some relatively new solos with band. With a good first section Yorkshire Brass band, I've been considering doing something like 'Call of the Seasons' (not exactly new) but I'd like to know what folk, particularly fellow euph players think would (a) be sufficiently challenging (b) be enjoyable for a concert audience (I know that's so subjective) or at least tend to get good audience feedback (c) be reasonably straightforward to purchase? Also, if any of you euph players were going to set yourself the challenge of getting your teeth into one of the concertos (Sparke, Wilby, Golland, Ellerby etc) which would it be?

Many thanks in anticipation of your advice.

Rob Cavender