French Tonguing (Arban)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by maestO_SO_musical, Oct 20, 2007.

1. I saw on another site that Arban only put in his method that a player should make a "tu ku tu ku" sound because, in a French accent, this would sound like "d g d g"

I have also been told that this is a load of rubbish and that d g d g makes the wrong sound.

I am now totally confused. Could anyone out there help me?

Thanks in advance, bye!
  2. Owen S

Owen S Member

In Arban's introduction to his triple and doube tonguing section, he cautions that tu-tu-ku is the only acceptable method, and du-du-gu should not be used. The obvious conclusion from that is that either you misunderstood them, or the person who told you that has never even opened a copy of it. Not sure which. :)
  3. David Mann

David Mann Member

Page 153 in my copy. Having said that and tried to apply these instructions, my triple tongueing is about as smooth as a Morris Minor engine with a broken big end bearing!
  4. I once had a lesson with Owen Farr and we discussed tonguing, double and triple. It was a great lesson, what was decided was that you should be able to use both d g d g and tu ka tu ka. This may sound weird to some, but if you use d g d g then it’s a much more soft subtle tongue, if you use tu ka tu ka it’s a more firm tongue. So theoretically you could use this to vary the depending on the style of music. This is just an idea, but I feel it does work for me. Hope this sorta helps! :redface:
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

I agree, Du gu gives a far softer sound without out sounding fluffy! :)
  6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I've always been bought up from my dad too Du Du Gu

7. That's odd

Since I started the thread, I've found another website that says t k t k should be used for staccato passages and that dgdgdg should be used for any others.

I'M CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- there's a couple of books here that you should maybe add to your Xmas presents list. ;)
  9. That is wat ive sorta sed below, it really does work.
  10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Can someone translate for me?
  11. Yeah they would do me the world of good but might drive me insane at the same time!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- they are both good reading with practical hints and tips. Not so much theoretical books but based on experience.
  13. I like hints and tips - implies that I won't get bored reading it
  14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Well, yes. I've never understood why some people feel you should use only one or the other, short staccato triplets are going to require a different articulation to smoother, more legato ones. Doesn't sound weird, sounds obvious.
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- that's another reason to have a look at the Howard Snell books. The study of phonetics and their relationship to brass playing is gaining popularity in many courses worldwide! ;) (google it and see)
  16. My double tonguing is developing quicker than I imagined, and it's smooth enough with t k t k . If I used d g d g ,I think that the notes might become 'blurred'. I have a very lazy tongue! ;-)

17. Nice to hear that you're double tonguing is developing, hope we all helped and good luck! :tup :tup :tup