French Open

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Jul 18, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

French Open Date has been changed to coincide with Whit Friday?!

Considering that (musically speaking) the British Bands are what make the contest good, I think this was a bad move by the organisers. I know which one I'll be choosing!
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Oh dear, oh dear, not a good plan.
  3. JR

JR Member

Of the bands competing this year, how many are regulars on the whit friday circuit? - only Marsden I would have thought...
    Personally speaking, I thoroughly enjoyed the french open - I don't think Saddleworth or Tameside would be too worried if a few bands decided to de-camp to Amboise - it's a beautiful venue - my wife and 2 girls loved the Da Vinci park whilst I was banding...

john r
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Oh the French Open is lovely, but it can be quite a hassel to get everything together for it. The other problem I see is deps. I don't know of one of the championship bands that didn't really heavily on deps and trying to fill in holes with players that weekend, I'd think would be difficult. A choice between lots of extra rehearsals to work on a test piece and a 9+ hour bus ride (that's be from London area) vs. just playing a march and seeing almost all your friends...I'd think most deps would take the latter. I had really hoped to do both next year and am quite saddened they are the same weekend...I guess it means I'll try to get off to Germany a week earlier for the world cup ;)
  5. emilyhallett26

emilyhallett26 New Member

Can anyone tell me who to contact about entering the French Open as our MD would quite like to go next year and i can't seem to find any info on who organises it.

Emily Hallett
    Solo Cornet
    Pilling Jubilee Silver Band
  6. Bones

Bones Member

Give David Horsfield, Stuart Broadbent or Chris Jeans a call they will be able to put you in touch with the relevant people I should have thought.

On a note about the change of times to coincide with the Whit Fridays. It is not the first time this has happended so i don;t believe there will be a problem generally.

As for the organisation, I found it to be one of the most helpful and successful contests run to date. If you can get there, the orgainsers seem to make sure you are looked after whilst you are there.
  7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Jacques Gaudet announced the date for the contest as 9/10/11 June while he was announcing the results at the French Open, so I'm not sure where the 'change to the date' has come from.

It's still the second weekend in June, as it seems to have been in four of the last five years (with the exception of 2003).

Personally speaking, I'd find it a tough call to make between the two of them. Both great band occassions.
  8. Steve

Steve Active Member

It could be a stroke of genius on the French part as this means that while loosing the better bands in the competition, the B E A utiful Loire valley doesnt get a weekend of drunken bandsmans destruction. Very clever!!
  9. mr jinx

mr jinx New Member

Can anybody tell me if a band has won the french open and not done the gala concert.I maybe wrong but it seems that all the bands that win are already contracted to do the concert.