French Open Brass Band Championships

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Chunky, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Looking for some contact info re the above contest. Appreciate its too late for this year but our MD is keen on doing it next.

Can anybody point me in the right direction please? (For contacts, I have a map to get us to France!!)

2. Steve

Steve Active Member

AAAB, 48 Rue Rabelais, 37400 Amboise, Loire, France, or Fred Rhodes Tel: +44 (0) 161 620 3199

Would recommend Fred Rhodes as the first point of call as Im not sure what the deal with Courtois is since the changes of ownership recently.
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks for this Steve!

Take Care
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Cawston goes international! Hope the trip works out well for you. There's one snag, however. If you lot go to France and take my little sister, I'll have to look after that damn dog of hers :( !!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the dog's lovely, just a bit of a handful!
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  5. vonny

vonny Member

I think Middleton played in the French Open last year and by all accounts they had a brilliant time. I think it is great to travel whilst banding, not only playing but also listening...
    Chunky have you ever considered buying a one-way ticket because if you like it you can always stay there :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

And we're going this year. :biggrin:
  7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

After Germany last year the travel bug has got to us! And of course your little sister would want to come!

As for Rachels dog being a handful they do say the dog takes on the characteristics of the owner!
  8. MickM

MickM Member

Anyone know the full list of band's going to the French Open?

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Jusy typing French Open on tMP will highligh said text, and when mouse overed - will show you additional details Mick. We don't have details of competing bands as yet - might be some research for some of our News reporters though... ;)
  10. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

I know that Aveley and Newham Band are taking part in the contest and performing in the Gala Concert.

That is all I know however.
  11. JR

JR Member

..I'll be taking Lockwood Brass in the second section - we had a great time last year and hope to do so again, this time with a few friend, tmp's "Brass Journo" amongst them!

JOhn R
  12. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

French Open

Have beaten you there John, I have the feelers out for information on this year's competition...I'm waiting to hear back from a very reliable source. I went with Rogerstone a few years back and its a great contest....Amboise is a great place, just don't get caught the wrong side of the Loire after 12!! Le shaker is the place to be!!
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Great contest and for the concerts afterwards the locals are very receptive...all I recommend is you learn how to ask for a beer without head. It eludes me at the moment..."ohne Schaum" auf Deutsch..."non scume" en Italino...However I can't remember my French!!
  14. Graeme Hall

Graeme Hall New Member

French Open

Altough Aveley and Newham Band are playing on the Saturday evening dont forget that Wingates are opening the event with a Concert on the Friday Night starting at 9:00 pm.
    Just to confuse everyone the French have also called this a Gala Concert?

Good luck to every one on the day.

To all the members of Aveley and Newham sorry Wingates can not come and join with you on the Saturday but we have another concert in Le Mans on the same evening.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  15. DeeTee

DeeTee New Member

sans tete?
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oops - that was me on my mum's laptop - she'll kill me if she finds out!!
  17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm not completely sure, but I think it's "Sans colle" (without collar)
    But why would you want that? a proper beer should have a 1 inch collar... :clap:
  18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The people at CAMRA wouldn't be very happy with you!
  19. Rob

Rob Member

Is 'collar' not 'collier'.......? Or has my dreadful French let me down??
  20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"col" seulement, je croix.