French Open 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by trombone-john, Mar 26, 2009.

1. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Is anyone else making the trip to Amboise this year?

We (EYMS) are going for the first time, and doing the Gala Concert.

Has anyone been before? What can we expect? Is it really as hectic as it sounds?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    French Open
    France
    Blackley Band
    morning
    euph solo
  3. JR

JR Member

Hi John,
    Lockwood Brass arent going this year (been every year for last 4/5 years) but several of the band (possibly including me..) will be making the trip for a holiday - it's a fantastic weekend

Expect to bump into some mates on the 5.30am ferry - Chros Wormald kept me talking for ages...

You can expect 30 deg heat for the Whit Friday style march, which we won last year in front of the Chateau (where Leonardo Da Vinci is buried) and even hotter on stage in the afternoon theatre test piece contest! (which we didnt win..)

The entertainment concert programme is great fun and the Gala concert, which has recently had Willebroek, Aveley & Newham etc (both were terrific I thought) will be packed out with the results at half time and go on until midnight!

And there's no proper registration so Lockwood borrowed half a band from Skelmanthorpe, Yorks Co-Op and Easington!

I'm sure plenty of others will back me up - hope you enjoy as much as we did

John R

4. Eb_Alex

Eb_Alex Member

Blackley Band are going to be making the trip this year, and we are looking forward to it. Adie our conductor has done it a few times before and he assures us it is a fantastic weekend. It has been a lot of effort raising all the necessary funds, but it will definitely be worth the trip.

Also it coincides with my birthday so we will be celebrating as well :D

5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Sounds like pretty good fun. When is it, exactly?

6. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

I'll echo JR on this one, i've done it twice with Flowers now and its a quality weekend. As far as contesting goes its like nothing else, possible one of the worst organised (or at least thats how it feels at the time) things ever, but its so much fun. :clap:

Providing the sun is shining then the outdoor march is good fun (although, be warned, its cobbled and very narrow!), the set test piece theatre is hotter than the face of the sun, and yes the Gala concert will go on for HOURS! whether you like it or not.

From memory when we did it before i think they filmed it for local TV so you have camera men popping up in between the band at the worst possible moments. Think our timp player pushed one off the stage as he was running over to hit the gong last time! They also do bizarre things like crawl along the floor between the trombone section to take 'artistic' type footage - very odd. Guess thats just the French for you. :wink:

The registration is farcical, you just turn up with a a4 sheet of names they ask which one you are you point at a name and they say bonjour or something and thats it! Wish our registration rules were that easy!

Then after all that is over its time to hit the bars and restaurants and enjoy the company of all the other banders milling around well into the night - happy days!

If Carlsberg did band contests then this weekend would probably feature in one of their adverts!

Worst part - the 6 month coach journey home...rubbish.

7. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

6th-7th June.

Looks like I'd better start getting my lip in training now.
    A march contest, Set piece contest, and a concert that goes on for HOURS all in one day!
    Guess I'll be needing a few Stellas after that :)

Makes the 6 month journey home sound quite attractive!

8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That's just before my birthday too!

9. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

It's a great weekend even if you do have to sleep top to toe with your mates at the wine college. The weather was fantastic when i went and the place is gorgeous. It's well organised as well.
    Infact, if anyone needs a dep, give me a call!

10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Consider yourself backed up JR!!

Remember this? Lost count of how many times I've played this with yourself at the stick... but this was the best I remember it ever going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAgyz3MV_k&feature=related

Worth it for Batesy's xylophone playing alone.....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  11. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Stella? When one of the bars sells Elephant beer on tap, and another has a bottled beer menu that has about 60 beers on it, some of them well over 10%.....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    French Open
    France
    Blackley Band
    morning
    euph solo
  13. agentorange

agentorange Member

60 beers? Why are we only going for the weekend?!!:-? Let's make it at fortnight!

14. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Now come on Neil, you must be losing your touch.
    I've been on a few 60 pint weekends with you!!!!!!!!

15. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Cheers Andi - yep a fantastic weekend - I've been 3 times with JR and Lockwood and agree with everything he said about the event. Guess I'm stuck with Whit Friday this year, but with the euro as it is, the 'formidable' lager at €9.50 would be a bit pricey!

16. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Le SHAKER!!!!!!

You'll soon find out!!

17. agentorange

agentorange Member

Yeah but you need 4 or 5 of each, just to be sure you like 'em! ;)

18. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

OMG le Shaker! It's all a bit of a drunken haze!! I'd go back tomorrow!

19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

That's the spot with the beer menu. I forgot to mention, they also have a large cocktail list that are served in all manner of vases.

20. Di B

Di B Member

Remember you promised me a seat if you needed a dep john ;-)

21. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

i'm with you every step of the way BOSS! x

22. geordie in exile

geordie in exile New Member

The Blades of Toledo will be visiting Amboise once again this year-decided to avoid the inconvenience of playing the trombone though, are going as spectators only!