French Open 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by cornetkate, Apr 12, 2008.

1. cornetkate

cornetkate Member

Hi there

Does anyone know which bands are going this year?

Secondly, does anyone know where I can get some tickets from? I've seen the email on IBEW but read comments to suggest the replies are taking some time.

Thanks

Cornetkate

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi thereDoes
    French Open
    ThanksCornetkate
    IBEW
    thereDoes
  3. JR

JR Member

French open

Lockwood are going again in the 1st section (or equivalent) - Ballet for Band is the test piece.

I will be conducting again and this time we've got plenty of helpers from Skelmanthorpe, Yorks Co-Op, Hepworth, Rothwell and Ashington to mention a few!

Registration rules are fairly relaxed in France...

I can assure you it's a great weekend. Some very good bands have supported the event in recent years including Polysteel, Aveley, Wingates and GUS.

john R

4. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

JR, do you have some contact details (or are you able to get hold of them?) for the organisers of the contest as my band would like to go next year.

Thanks in advance and good luck at the contest - Ballet for Band is a great piece!

5. JR

JR Member

cheers - I would suggest you contact Tabby (brass journo on here) unlike me she's the one for such details...

john

6. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Too right JR!

For those who don't know, it's three contests in a day - sounds overwhelming, but it's great fun - a typical "whit friday" contest, playing beneath the impressive chateau; the formal contest (in the theatre) - approx 20 minute programme to include the set test piece; and a (very relaxed) entertainment-style contest back outside.

The large audiences are enthusiastic and appreciative at all venues, and the weather is great.

The only snag for me is that come results time in the local school later on in the evening, I've never understood a word - either too much Leife beer - or they're speaking in French.

It'll be my third trip with "my friends in the north", and it's certainly one of the highlights of my banding year - great contest, great company, great weekend.

Looking forward to it!

Blaster.

p.s. If we do Toccata again, can someone make sure Mr Turnbull only has two Shredded Wheat for breakfast this year?

7. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Anyone else going this year?
    The thread seems a bit quiet with only a few days to go.
    :confused:

8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Willebroek will be playing the Gala concert on Saturday evening

9. Boarshurst

Boarshurst Member

I am lead to believe that Smithills High School from Bolton are there with their conductor Chris Wormald. Good luck to Sheena and the crew. From all your friends at Boarshurst.

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

According to British Bandsman, the bands taking part are as follows:

Brass Band Normandie (France)
    BBNPC (France)
    Brass Band Rijnmond (Netherlands)
    Exo Brass (France)
    Lockwood Brass (Great Britain)
    Spijkerpakkenband (Netherlands)
    Euphonia (Switzerland)
    Brass Band de Thudinie (Belgium)
    Dearham (Great Britain)
    Brass Band Atout Vent (France)
    Brassage Brass Band (France)
    Cugy Vesin (Switzerland)
    Youth Brass Atout Vent (France)
    Smithills School Brand (Great Britain)

11. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Come on the Brits!!!!

Really really disappointed i can't go this year, oh well, there's always next year ain't there. Hopefully the Town Hall concert will be a different weekend.

Good test piece.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi thereDoes
    French Open
    ThanksCornetkate
    IBEW
    thereDoes
  13. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Any results?

Sent texts but me thinks too much beer had passed the lips!!

14. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I hope the Willebroek coach has managed to leave in time, because three of their players are supposed to play with my band later today (1 of them is a dep), and our conductor is travelling with them as well (he was conducting Brass Band Rijnmond from Holland at the contest)... :s

15. Boarshurst

Boarshurst Member

The only result I have received so far is that of Smithills High School Band from Bolton, who won their section. Very well done to you all.:clap: :clap: :clap:

16. BB Rijnmond (Holland) won the championship section.

17. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Lockwood won the March and got third overall, not sure about anything else.:clap:

18. Masterblaster jnr

I heard that Lockwodd won March, 2nd in their section and got disqualified for going over time in the entertainment.

Not sure if this is true as my source doesn't speak french and seemed slightly unsober

19. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Well done to all the British bands in The Fernch Open. Some of these contest names sounds like golf championships!

20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Yourself and Becky are both partially correct.

Lockwood 1st on march, 3rd overall after disqualification from the entertainments for playing over the time. There was a rumour we were 2nd overall - however that later proved incorrect.

Shame really, as JR genuinely tried to put on a show for those in the square at Amboise on the entertainment programme and then got disqualified for playing too long. Compare that with one band (No idea who they were) took six or seven minutes between pieces, played three items, and then walked off!!!

Massive thanks to our friends in the north at Lockwood for a tremendous weekend, and for making us all feel so welcome. Well done to JR for pulling it all together in what was effectively three rehearsals - and everyone on stage for what's definitely the finest performance of 'Toccatta in D' that I've ever been a part of!

Can I put my name down for next year?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  21. Masterblaster jnr

Well at least (apparently) Mr Turnbull only had 2 shredded wheat as it was at a reasonable tempo, unlike last year!!!!!!!!

I was realy not good enough to play semiquavers so fast last year

22. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

We made sure Mr Turnbull only had two shredded wheat for breakfast this year! Yes it was a great weekend again, and the buzz which the band and audience got from the concert was something else.