French Military March - L Davies

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Mar 12, 2012.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Looking through unplayed pieces in our library and came across this manuscript version (with some parts missing unfortunately ;) ) any other bands played this piece?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    French
    Davies
    French Military March - L Davies
    library
    unplayed pieces
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Is it comp. L. Davies or comp. Saint-Saens, arr. L. Davies?

There's a well-known "French Military March" in Saint-Saens's 'Algerian Suite', which was arranged for band by Walter Hargreaves (it's rather nice). Maybe a different arrangement of the same piece? As I recall, it opens in a robust 2/2 with the rhythm minim-minim-dotted minim-crotchet-crotchet-quaver-quaver-crotchet-crotchet-minim-crotchet-etc. and the notes (in key of concert Ab) Ab-Ab-Bb-Bb-C-Ab-Bb-C-Db-Db-Eb-etc.

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

There's also a Michael Kenyon arrangement published by the SA, which I actually prefer to the Hargreaves. Closer to the original key, and more faithful to the original orchestration.

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yep same piece and we have the Hargreaves version too - not happy sight reading and transposing off the BBb

6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I played this arrangement with the NYBB in the 60s it was arranged by Leonard Davies who was Secretary of the NYBB for many years. I seem to recall he also ran the Parr School of Music in Manchester. We played quite a few of his arrangements.

- Mr Wilx

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for the information Ian, nice to know who had arranged it - all sorted on the missing part front now too