French Horns

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Wonky_Baton, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

Well spank my **** and call me betty but tonight I had a surreal experience. Went to the sage at Gateshead (nice place by the way!) to see the St Petersburg Philharmonic orchestra and to my surprise the French horm Section were fantastic as well as the rest of the orchestra I might add. I know I have given them a bit stick in the past but these guys were top notch. Maybe Dave Payn had a point after all. Still wouldn't have them in a brass band though. Still only heard 3 good ones and a 100 crap but I am mellowing!!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A good french horn ensemble can be really exciting to hear if you are in the mood. A couple of recordings I would recommend are:-

(1) The London Horn Sound (32 players including Wagner Horns as well) - 1999 Cala CACD 0112

(2) Hornensemble Der Hochschule "Mozarteum" - Born For Horn - 1995 Koch Schwann 3-1535-2 H1
  3. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... french horn hating? I never realised you had a nasty encounter with the left-handed curly-wurlies!
  5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Those of you who love the French Horn haven't spent enough time sitting behind them. The sound is a sort of cross between a flatulent bass trombone and a train crash, but not so musical. It certainly makes you appreciate a good baritone section...

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

(a) What, a section of wobbly Bryn Terfels?

(b) Isn't 'A good baritone section' an oxymoron? (Only joking baritone players.....)

(c) 'Bar' is a useful 'section' of the word 'baritone'. 'Tone' isn't.

:) :)
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well done Betty. I'll pass on the spanking if you don't mind, though. :)
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

That's what I like to see - the open-minded nature of the brass band world.:rolleyes:

Keep on like this and it won't be long before you realise that music beyond the realms of contesting.
    At this rate by the next century the brass band world will realise that "Mozart" wrote music, not "Mozart, arr...."
    Beyond that, who knows - maybe you might find that the trumpet is worth listening to?

Welcome to the wider world of music - take it easy, you might find you enjoy it, although I wouldn't post here if this is the case - some banders just won't believe you
  9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

a trumpet worth listening to!? dream on lol no theyre ok
    ;) :D