Freeview TV - Mitchell & Kenyon Pre-WW1 Films on UK History

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Nov 9, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Anybody seen this series yet on the UK History channel? Amazing to think that most of the normal people filmed by the Mancurian team are now dead. Fantastic insight into lives of people in Lancashire at the turn of the Century. Haven't seen all the programmes and yet to see a brass band. (Why did so many women wear shawls over their heads at that time?).

p.s., it's on at the moment & seems to start each night at 9:30 p.m.

post-edit:- I have a link for freeview telly on the net (you have to have RealPlayer installed). Haven't checked if UK History is on it!

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

2. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

It has had two runnings on BBC2 this year.

They do provide a facinating insight into the differences and similarities between the life we lead now, and the lives they led then. I don't remember seeing any brass bands though. As most of what they did didn't involve sound, I don't think that filming a concert would have been high on their list of priorities.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- last night there was a 1902 film covering the holiday exodus to Blackpool and showed onstage outdoor variety shows as well as various parades (no brass bands though). The earlier programme tonight showed boys brigade bugle bands and a military band on the march. With the increase of leisure time and earnings for the working class masses at that time, it would be strange that brass bands from that area would not get at least a few seconds filming. Still, it's amazing watching this silent footage!

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There ya go! A police brass band at the start of the programme at 00:00! :p

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The programmes were quite interesting with some fascinating early footage, but I found them very repetitive. Various clips were used several times, and it was as if they had to stretch it out to so many programmes, whereas tighter editing would have made for a more satisfying series.