FreeView Telly

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Dec 7, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm toying with the idea of giving someone an Xmas gift of a freeview tellytop box. I had a quick look around the shops today and there are now loads of brands and models for sale!!! All that is needed is a set-up that links to a normal telly with SCART and the top-up card option is not necessary. Any recommended good deals out there?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Telly
    FreeView
    SCART
    Xmas gift
    freeview tellytop box
  3. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Double check on the Freeview website (http://www.freeview.co.uk) that whoever you are buying it for is in a decent reception area and not all of the country is yet.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- cheers, but everything is okay in my area! What I want to know if any of the boxes that seem to be hovering about the £30 limit are as good as my PACE box I got out of Argos for £70 a year or two ago? It's going to be part of my mum's Xmas and I need it to be sweet and simple.

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I bought a second box for another TV in my house. £26 from Currys no difference in quality of pic or set up that I can detect.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- wot make & model?

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Techwood twdfv2

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- thanks, I'll check it out!

9. Bungle

Bungle Member

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

We have reception problems with our digital box... strangely all the BBC channels work fine all the time, but any ITV/Ch4 stuff goes through phases of breaking up.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Telly
    FreeView
    SCART
    Xmas gift
    freeview tellytop box
  13. andyp

andyp Active Member

Our Freeview box is fine, only thing that ruins it is unsupressed lawnmowers (sorry, mopeds) going past. It's a Grundig one, which I got cos it has 2 SCARTS and audio-outs.
    Some of the really cheap ones don't, or have no Teletext.

14. Bungle

Bungle Member

Not all channels are transmitted at the same power. Go to http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe? and type in your postcode. It should show your the local transmitters and power output.

Are you using a wideband aerial?

Just be greatful you can get some channels, I live 7 miles away from a transmitter that blocks digital transmissions to the south!

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

We just bought an Igem for about £30. But be warned, the cheaper you buy the thicker SCART lead you will have to buy. The ones that come with the cheap boxes are just that. We ended up spending another £20 on leads. All works perfectly now.

BMB
    xx

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Very sound advice! Double check if necessary because I've heard stories of people buying a Freeview box in a supposed good reception area and not be able to receive much when they connected up! The reverse is true in my area. My actual postcode comes up as 'no coverage'....but, the main channels we receive are Ufrom Ulster, not Scotland and it turns out we CAN actually receive it!

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've just bought an el cheapo freeview box from my local supermarket and I was wondering whether the behaviour I see is normal or not. Sometimes when I change channels, it can take up to 20 seconds for the picture and sound to appear - I just see a black screen. :confused:

Also, I find that the programme details don't always update when I view the programme guide. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

19. gawber

gawber Active Member

Mine's a Panasonic and I've not had the problems you're experiencing.

20. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Still cant get Freeview in Campbeltown....

21. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Yeah, ours does that sometimes. And it has a tendency to reset to Channel 18 - The Hits. Believe me, you do not want that to happen while a LittleBabyBadger is tuned in to CBeebies. Also if you flick through the channels to quickly it gets its knickers in a complete twist and refuses to show anything for up to 2 minutes.
    No idea why. I just try to treat it as one of life's little quirks, along with spiders in the bath and dead slugs on my car seat.
    BMB
    xx

22. Bungle

Bungle Member

I would recomend doing a search on the digital spy forum for your model