Freebie CD Sampler - R. Smith & Co. Listening Post

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by brassneck, Apr 28, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Just wondering if anyone else has received their freebie sampler CD like I have? Made available from International Music Publications (IMP) and Warner Music Group Company, this CD has introductions from Andy Duncan covering a selection of 40 selected arrangements made for band.
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

If it's the one entitled "Music For Brass Band" had one sent out from Just Select last month - ordered Parade of the Charioteers (from Ben Hur), Queen Rules!, Serenata and Mary Poppins We've already played Queen Rules in a concert, Ben Hur will also be on our next concert performance at Newstead Miners' on the 8th May, but we will probably save Mary Poppins for the park jobs etc in the summer.

I have to say that I do like these CD samplers as they give some idea whether the arrangement works or is indeed suitable for your band. Not sure about the indicative grading standards though and it would be a shame if lower section bands were put off by the "difficulty grading" of what is undoubtedly some fine music.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Composer/arranager Idar Torskangerpoll seems quite interesting, especially the snippet from his 1st Symphony for Brass Band.
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think that one's well out of our league (marked Championship+ - whats better than championship?) A Hebredean Suite sounds good and we might have a shot at that (2+) - anybody played that?
  5. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

A Hebridean Suite is excellent - it's a bit in the style of the Malcolm Arnold Scottish Dances and it would probably work well in its entirety or sections of, in both contests and concerts.

Paul Drury