FREE to Good Home - Collection of 78rpm records dating from late 1920's to 1950's

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Eric NORTON, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Eric NORTON

Eric NORTON New Member

I wish to find a good home for my late father's collection of 78rpm records. He was born in 1911 and passed away 3 weeks after his 100th Birthday. He started the collection in the late 1920's when he started work and continued until the mid 1950's when vinyl records arrived. There are approximately 200 discs split roughly 50/50 between SA Bands and Works/Contesting bands etc. I am 77 years old now and my offspring do not have any interest in banding or these records (Where did I go wrong!!!), and I can't bear to think of them being thrown way/destroyed when I am gone (Cheerful fellow)

I can send an attachment to you if you e-mail me on stressederic229@hotmail.com with the heading Free 78 records. I can then also give you my telephone number for a chat

I live in Oldbury/Dudley area within 2 miles of M5 Junction 2

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

3. Eric NORTON

Eric NORTON New Member

Thanks for the information Dave, but I don't think that it is practical as Ian Riley lives in Australia - I have sent him a number of CD's which he has used. I do have a definite offer of a home in Scot;land , not as far, so am investigating the cost of transport there. Thanks for the thought though.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The other chap who springs immediately to mind as a serious collector of old brass band recordings is Peter Whitehead, but I'm afraid he lives in California... Good luck finding a worthy home! It certainly would be a tragedy if the collection was lost.

5. Eric NORTON

Eric NORTON New Member

Since your earlier comment, I have had a couple more enquiries, so I believe that the collection should be on it's way to a new home shortly. Thanks again for taking the time to try to help me

Euphonium Lite and MoominDave like this.
  6. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Fingers crossed that it all works out well in the end for you, Eric - the loss of such a collection would be tragic.

With best regards,

Jack