Free Concert?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by neiltwist, May 28, 2004.

Would you attend a free concert?

1. Yes

2. No

1. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

this is just a quick poll to see who would attend a free concert.

If you would how far would you travel to it?

what sort of section band would you be looking at watching?

and if not, why not?

answers on a postcard please...
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I would always be interested in attending a concert, and would be more concerned over the programme content than the level of the band. I've taken advantage of a number of the free concerts given by bands in the London colleges, either student groups or bands affiliated to the colleges, and these often feature quite adventurous programming, such as the London premiere of "The Trumpets of the Angels" last Friday.

I'm far less likely to turn out, either as a paying audience member or for free, if there are no programme details given, or if it is packed with run-of-the-mill potboilers and film music. Of course, a properly planned programme of good movie themes is another matter entirely :wink:
  3. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Agreed.....a good theme that's advertised will wet appetites!!!
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Of course I'd see a free concert...
    So long as it was fairly local I wouldn't mind what section the band were... Programme would need to be good... nice combination of stuff is always a bonus...
  5. NeilW

NeilW Member

Is this as in "free to enter but pay to leave" :lol:

6. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

We did a free concert to promote our new CD.

Free to get in, but most paid £9 for the CD before they left! :wink:

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Always like going to concerts...whatever the standard. If it's free it's just an added bonus.

I'm a Glaswegian living in Yorkshire...they don't come much more tight with the old spondoolies than me!!!
  8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I am more like to go to the concert if I am interested in the band/programme rather than if it is free or not. Obviously free is good but i don't begrudge paying for tickets especially with unsponsored bands where they need the money!!
  9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

but if it was free, would it tip you over the edge? (to go to the concert that is!)
  10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

possibly :wink:
  11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

As an SA band, most of our concerts are free (sometimes with an offering taken, usually to support the local SA centre sponsoring the concert).

If your band is contemplating a free concert, perhaps to stir up interest for example, I suggest that you still distribute tickets, not so much to control who gets in, but as a reminder that the concert is happening. This strategy has worked for us in the past - we announce an upcoming concert, and give tickets to those who inquire about it. Keeps them from forgetting to attend on the day :)
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

If you're testing the water to see if your band wants to do a free concert then I would say definitely "do it"

A few years ago Wigston were struggling to attract an audience to their concerts so it was decided to do a free Christmas concert. We advertised it well and got an audience of about 250. We made more money (from raffle, tombola and exit donations) than we would of if we'd charged five quid a ticket and judging on the audiences we get now, and response to our mailing list, most people who came along for the first time have stayed supporters of the band, so it's a great way of attracting new people to see you. Our Christmans concert is free every year now.

Oh I haven't answered your questions.....

Would I attend? Well yes of course...
    What section band? Well any really. I've been to some great concerts by 4th section bands in the past and equally some lousy ones from top section bands. I think I would go more on the band's reputation - ie such-and-such are a good, entertaining concert band.
    How far would I travel? Dunno :? I suppose it would again come down to the band's reputation and how much I wanted to see them. St helens is pushing it a bit though...... :wink:
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Up to 50 miles by a Championship section band eg BLACK DYKE:-D
  14. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

I would attend a free concert and then support the concert by buying raffle tickets and a drink etc, its a good idea to go and show some support.
  15. groovy

groovy Active Member

Yes of course I would! I go to any concerts in my area, whether they're free or not. However there aren't many. A group from my band will always go and see top bands whenever they are in Scotland.