Free Agent?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eanto, Nov 22, 2007.

1. eanto

eanto Member

I've noticed this term for a while now. Sounds to me like an ex-member of a regular band (with all the mundane effort that is required) who will now 'tout' for (especially-paid) services!

Commit or be gone! that's what I say!!
  2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

It's a bit like here today gone tomorrow you wouldn't know if you could couny on them sell there services to the highest bidder.
    We lost a player the week of a contest and had to find another at realy short notice.that was back in my Bayside Brass in Geelong days.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I use this term to let people know that I'm not playing with any band at the moment. Sorry if you think it implies anything else. I was once a highly committed player to bands, but work gets in the way.

Since my banding days I have become a full time pro player. I use the term 'free agent' to suggest that I am available to help anyone out if I can and I am happy to help at no cost if I can.

Please PM me if you have a problem with this, but please don't question my commitment to the movement that has given me so much.
  4. eanto

eanto Member

No specific individuals targeted!

Just a general observation ref people who could commit to a band (and indeed regularly 'guest') but chose instead to cherry pick certain rehearsals, concerts, contests etc.

I suppose a full band wouldn't need 'em:rolleyes:
  5. Bass Trumpet

I'll be gone then;)
  6. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I think its fantastic that we have "Free Agents" of the calibre of Duncan in the brass band movement - just look at the input he makes on tmp.
    I suppose I am now a "Free Agent" as I feel I can't commit to a band fully at present. I would like to help bands out as a "Free" agent in order to keep in touch, keep lip in etc. I suppose that could be interpreted as a little selfish, but surely everyones a winner if it helps both parties.
  7. andreab

andreab Member

Is there anything wrong with that?
  8. Bass Trumpet

Aw, thanks!:oops:
  9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Present situation: The participants in something that is a hobby regularly struggle to fill bands for concerts and contests. Can fill these seats sometimes with players who for one reason or another can't or won't commit fully.

I know let's insult and refuse to use these players, reduce the pool of potential players (some of whom might come back to full-time banding at some point), forcing bands to pull out of contests, cancel concerts, even fold, at least we can sit there in bands missing parts warmed by our own self-righteousness knowing that we turn up to every rehearsal.

Bands surely only use part-time players when they have a part missing. If every band in the country had a full band they wouldn't be needed. Popular professional entities like league football teams can snub part-time players. Minority amateur pursuits like brass bands cannot.

I'm a committed week-in-week-out player with 2 bands, but that's because my work/life/personal situation etc at the moment allows me to be this. Would never dream of criticising anyone who is not a full time bander, as long as they are honest about the amount of commitment they can give.
  10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Certainly no offence intended, I just remembered this incident while reading thr thread.
    We had benrehersing for monthes for a contest and a dep on percusion ( Timps ) sasid a week before the contest that he was going to the contest with a dirrerent band and wouldn't be able to play with us ( the Timps were a very important part in that contest peice )and we were left hunting a percussionist with less then 2 weeks til the contest date for the dep to learn a very important part ( we didn't win )
  11. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Someone i remember once turned up to the British open and just remembered that his sticks and music were in the bandroom

MBS (Major Blagging Situation)
  12. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I myself am a free agent at the moment, but that is because with one thing and another I am too busy to commit fully to a band.

I am currently in Music College and a member of the BBC National Chorus of Wales. I have been back in the North West the last week to help my old band out with a contest. The only reason I left the band was to go to music college. It is the only reason I would ever have had for leaving that band (Other than being kicked out lol).

I will help any band or orchestra out, I have no "Minimum standard" (I.E won't play for a band lower than 1st section).

I don't charge for my services, all I require are expenses or a lift from a member of the band in question.

Is this out of order as well?
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

I too would consider myself a "free agent". I was a committed player for many years with a number of bands, but needed to give it a break just over a year ago to progress my career. Whilst part of me misses the regular social side of banding, I'm lucky enough to have found a band that can accept my position and (so far) have not objected to me only making a few rehearsals on the run up to a concert. I always give my full commitment to the rehearsals I attend and the concerts, and if I feel I'm not prepared enough I will put in more practice at home to make sure I am prepared. To be honest, that is more commitment than many other players I know. I'd fully accept losing my seat to a better or more regular player, but as Daniel points out, bands can barely afford to be that picky.

It is interesting that three of the four "free agents" so far are trombones. Maybe that is because us bones are lucky enough to be able to play regularly without setting foot into a band room?
  14. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I actually play a lot, whilst at college, I am in a Jazz band, 10 piece ensemble and I play Alto bone in a trombone quartet.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

See timbloke, a trombonist who isn't a free agent:rolleyes:
  16. horn1

horn1 Member

Yes but weren't we talking about brass bands?? Personally, if I couldn't commit full time to banding I'd be more than happy to help bands out when I could. Also I really appreciate those 'free agents' who do help keep numerous bands alive.
  17. Masterblaster jnr

Yes and no. The thread is about bands. I was just assisting timbloke with his slight problem of bands (not wanting) having vacancies for trombones
  18. Steve

Steve Active Member

Mundane???? I am intrigued! I presume you are pigeon holing all ex-full time players as not 100% committed to all rehearsals and engagements?

Players dont generally need to 'tout' for dep work. Especially not the calibre of player that becomes a free agent due to professional committments!

What a ridiculous statement! May I ask who you play for just so I know which bands wont welcome the services of a dep player unless they are already in full time banding?!
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  19. Bones

Bones Member

Another well thought out comment. Guaranteed to get any non band specific player to help out, for fear of being pilloried for non committal irrespective of the circumstances.

If you can commit do so, if not, then do what you can. At least it keeps the movement going.

Great work eanto. Really special.
  20. leisa

leisa Active Member

I take it your band never uses any deps then? Its a silly statement to make and was obviously gonna rile people. Some people don't have time to commit to just one band, and some just don't want to whether it's through boredom or politics or whatever. And so what if they earn a bit of money while doing so? They are only helping bands out who need them, they aren't forcing them.