FREE 2 day course 3rd/4th Nov. Cumbria

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sandy Smith, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

FREE 2 DAY COURSE !!!

The Northern Region Brass Band Trust is running a FREE 2 day course for brass band players of approximately 3rd / 4th section standard this weekend – Sat.3rd and Sun.4th November 2007 in Askam near Barrow in Furness,Cumbria.

The course tutors are

Brett Baker – Principal Trombone Black Dyke Band

Sandy Smith – ex. Solo horn of Black Dyke,Faireys and Grimethorpe

Andy Lord – Principal Cornet of the Leyland Band

Brendon Wheeler – Principal Euphonium of the Leyland Band

Chris Doran – Principal Eb Bass of the Leyland Band

James Stretton – cornet / trumpet and flugel player who has played for Black Dyke,Desford and
    Grimethorpe and who now plays professionally.

All the tutors are experienced teachers and the weekend is geared for fun.
    The course will be led by Brett Baker and both full band and sectional rehearsals will be undertaken on a selection of suitable music.

The times are –

Saturday 3rd Nov.

9.30a.m. – 5.00p.m. full band and sectionals

Sun.4th Nov.

9.30a.m. – late afternoon full band /sectionals / Q& A session with the tutors

The weekend will finish with a concert at 6.00p.m. which will include both the band of delegates playing some of the music they have rehearsed and music from “White River Brass” – Brett Bakers’ own brass sextet featuring the course tutors.

There is NO COST for this course and a FREE lunch will be provided on both days.

You will need to bring yourself,your instrument and a music stand ( if you have one ) and for the concert on Sunday your own band uniform of smart concert dress.

Please note there is no accomodation provided.

For more details please contact Mr.Len Old ( secretary of the NRBBT) on

Tel. 0191 581 6552

Email enidlen@aol.com

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Rats! I've already committed to going to Pontins. I'd have been there otherwise. Just out of interest, was this announced anywhere earlier? I don't remember hearing about it....

3. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Hi Andy,
    shame about Pontins !

I've not seen any other PR for the course but spoke to Len Old of the Northern Region Brass Bnad Trust earlier today and suggested I post some info on the forum to see if it generated any interest.

They have about 25 people so far and can accomodate quite a few more.

I've done a number of these over the years for Len and the Trust and they are always good informal days of playing and learning ( for all of us ! ) and you get the chance to pick the brains of the tutors for tips and ideas.

It's all good fun and not bad value either - just your petrol - or your parents petrol !

Len is out for the afternoon (Tuesday) but can take calls from anyone interested from this evening onwards - or just email him and leave some contact details.

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

If another one comes along, I'd love to hear about it!