Fred Dibnah's World of Steam

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bungle, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Bungle

Bungle Member

Fred Dibnah's World of Steam, great program even if it is a rehash of previous series. I did notice that there are no closing credits for the band, although I am sure there were on previous series for Black Dyke. Is there are minimum duration of music before you have to be credited? Also do they get Fred Dibnah's programs in the States? I'm sure you would enjoy it if they did. Hopefully our friends over in Belgium get it.

Right, off to read about steam condensers, didn't quite get my head round it last night.
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Oh it's Dyke is it? I did wonder and meant to post on here asking but forgot! :oops: Glad that someone else has the initiative to post though! :D Background music often isn't credited though is it?
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the program. When is it and on what channel?
    We've got BBC 1, 2 and World on the cable (and some cable companies have ITV, so I've been told).
    On Digital TV, there also is BBC Prime, apparantly
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

BBC2, Tuesday evenings, from 20.00 to 20.30 .
  5. Jan H

I'll check it out next week, but normally we have rehearsal on Tuesdays...
  6. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I recently became aware in my statements from the PRS/MCPS that some of my music was being played on this programme. I also read in the Radio Times that the programme was enhanced by lots of "lovely tootling brass" - so I watched it 2 weeks ago, and was delighted to hear quite a bit of my stuff in it.

Particularly effective was the images of derelict factories/mills/mines/canals accompanied by a suitably dark and morose band piece. This was an arrangement of an old Swiss tune I did a while back - maybe not the kind of use it was intended for, but it did bring the image of "dark satanic mills" to mind!

The producer appears to have taken all of this from Black Dyke's "Spectacular Classics" series of cd's (Obrasso) - I've also had arrangements from "Carmen" and "La Traviata" featured, although the opening and closing credit music (The Carnival of Venice) isn't mine!
  7. Bungle

Bungle Member

Unfortunately with this series, they have more boffins eulogizing about Freds work and less time for industrial heritage and band music. I suppose we shouldn't complain is we are subliminaly getting the general public listening to Brass Band music. Maybe Black Dyke should release a CD of the music from the program, using previously recorded material. If people are buying the DVD they might by the music.

Jan, just thought I would mention it is on 8pm UK time. World of Steam

One of the best programs on TV after Top Gear.
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

But isn't that the whole point of this particular series? I thought it was a tribute to Fred Dibnah. I'm sure the previous series' will be repeated at some stage and then you can haev all the industrial heritage you want! :)
  9. Bungle

Bungle Member

True, but for befit of people tunning in for the first time, I was trying to convey the previous series were more interesting and had more music. I quite enjoyed the early programs aswell, when he was a steeple jack and after taking down chimneys (never used dynamite), would go off for a pint. What was sad was they were the chimneys he had been repairing over the years.
  10. bennem

bennem Member

Ahh but is this the sort of thing we really want brass band music associated with. The bygone age of steam, flat caps, wippets, trouble at mill..........

All very nice that the music is there at all but clever use of some modern brass compositions in contempory settings is what the movement needs.
  11. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

True to an extent - but dont forget a lot of bands get a lot of jobs and therefore MONEY from the "traditionalist" scene and it would in a way be denying the banding heritage, and they ask for music thats "familiar" with the banding scene - we will never get away from that.

Must go, the whippet needs a walk (well 2 Border Collies really)

By the way frec Dibnah - what a hero to all mysoginists!
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  12. Bungle

Bungle Member

We'll leave that to Ground Force. ;)
  13. bennem

bennem Member

Nowt wrong with Charlies dimmocks:wink:
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Did anyone notice if any programme credits were attributed to the music? :confused:
  15. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Fred Dibnah had the terrific ability of make the most uninteresting subjects absolutely fascinating, I love seeing the documentarys of him up chimneys and collapsing towers without explosives.

Genius :tup
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- now that we are halfway through tonight's programme on BBC2, has anybody tried to name all the excerpts played on any of them?
  17. Jan H

the guy with the brown hat, is that Fred Dibnah?
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

aye, lad ... that's him with flat cap! ;)
  19. Jan H

the introduction of Carnaval de Venice ...? :rolleyes:
  20. David Mann

David Mann Member

I've been watching the re-runs of this on ?UK History. It does seem to be a bit of a BBC cliche. Lots of brass on a BBC4 programme recently about film-making in Holmfirth. I don't have a problem with this, imagine if the Vienna Phil decided to modernise and decided Strauss was old hat.