Fred Dibnah

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BassBoneShep, Nov 17, 2004.

1. BassBoneShep

BassBoneShep Member

Just for those who have missed it (like me),

The great Fred Dibnah is no more. He passed away on 6th November 2004 and was his funeral yesterday.
    I think there is one more TV series to come but you can't beat the early days of his TV work running away from falling chimneys, denting cars as bricks flew about etc.
    His enthusiam for the "industrial age" will be missed

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My son and I went to hear Fred in Southend last year, having first encountered him when we lived in Bolton. Definitely a great character, and there aren't enough of them around these days. Apparently they showed a bit of the funeral on the news yesterday, but I missed it. I only hope his traction engines and other memorabilia go to good homes.

3. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

When we lived in Tyldesley, Fred was a regular in our local pub The Mort Arms, he was a very colourful character and it will be a lot duller in the tap room without him! Once Fred held all the traffic up on the Tyldesley one way system driving his traction engine home!

4. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I was upset to hear about Fred Dibnah. Yes the funeral was on the news yesterday, and a right good one it looked too. I imagine Fred would have enjoyed it.
    He always seemed to me to be one the few people around who had a genuine delight in everything around him and everything he did.
    BMB

5. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

A true engineer. His understanding of things mechanical and his enthusiasm when imparting this knowledge was tremendous. A great character who will be greatly missed.

Sud.

6. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Just found this thread and didn't know it had happened!!!! I well remember watching the first ever series about Fred, and listening in wonder to James Galway playing The Carnival of Venice in the background... happy days....aaaaah I'm saddened!....

7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I heard about this the weekend he died. He always reminded me of my Grandad, seemed to know a lot about everything, which are good things to know. Couldn't beat a bit of channel hopping and ending up with Fred Dibnah in a boiler suit on BBC2 doing something strange and mechanical!

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yeah was saddened when I found out about it the other week. I always admired his understanding of all things "clanky"! And I wish I could draw half as well as he could.

I'm sure this was Fred Dibnah but please correct me if I'm wrong here...

I can remember him demolishing a chimney in Leicester once. None of your TNT or big wrecking balls for Fred....he knocked a few bricks out of the bottom of it, lit a fire, and waited...

...and the thing fell gracefully exactly where he predicted it would :)

9. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

That certainly sounds like Fred. He preferred the old-fashioned way of demolishing chimneys. I am looking forward to seeing his last TV series, completed a few weeks before his death, though it will also be sad to see as well. He was a great character who will be be sadly missed.