Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Crazysop, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Someone has taken over £900 from my bank account from an ATm in the USA! I could cry!
    The bank were great and will send me a new card and pin number, but said it could take up to 6 weeks to investigate to see if money was fraudulently taken before I can have it back. She asked me if id cooperate with the police in an investigation and I said yes. I didnt ask if they get the police involved or if I have to do it. Should I give them a ring????
    I feel sick!
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Hi Lou

Nightmare! A similar thing happened to me; someone took out £500 worth of Euros from an ATM in France using a cloned Tesco Visa card. Although it comes as a horrible blow (especially at this time of year) the banks are usually pretty damn good at sorting this stuff out, if a little slow. Tesco Personal Finance sorted mine out, took them about 2 months but they made sure I didn't pay any interest or fees on the missing money until they'd sorted it.

Technically the fraud is against the bank, not you personally, so unless your ATM card has actually been stolen it should be the bank that report it to the police. That said, it would do no harm for you to ring the bank back, check that they are informing the police and that they will not charge you OD fees, interest and the like while they investigate. Also, just to cover your own backside, get the name of whoever you speak to at the bank every time you phone them and keep a record of your phone calls. They should write to you to confirm that they are investigating this; allowing for the xmas snailmail I'd give them 7-10 days then chase them up. As I say, normally they are good at this sort of stuff (and your case seems pretty open and shut - you haven't been sneaking off to the states between practices without telling us, have you?), but with it being xmas they might get a bit slow, or a bit lax with their paperwork.

Chin up hun, they will sort it - slowly.;)
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I work for a bank myself and we leave it to the customer to notify the police in these sort of cases. It's up to the individual if they want polive involvement so I would advise you to call the police yourself if you want them involved as I don't think the bank will have done it for you
  4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Ok, just phoned bank back, the nice lady said I will need to phone police to get a crime number, then I need to phone the fraudline and give them the crime number, which will speed things up a bit as they will be writing to me to ask me to do that anyway apparently. The lady has also reversed £50 of unauthorised overdraft fees too as a gesture of goodwill, but said they wont reverse any more of those. So looks like im gonna phone police. She said something a bit worrying though,i asked if she was positive that they couldnt take any more money now and she said well if they have your bank details they might be able to. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!
    Just wanna cry my eyes out i really do.
  5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Ok I now have a FWIn number and will have to ring the bank fraud dept tomorrow with it. Damn. Someone is having a nice spending spree with £1800 US dollars courtesy of me.
  6. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Oh you poor thing. Let's hope they're quick off the mark in sorting it out for you. I had my bag stolen in Geneva with all my cards and passport in it. I was lucky they didn't use the cards, but it's a horrible feeling.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Which bank is this? Good grief. If you get any more charges I suggest you write and dispute them, and contact the Financial Services Authority. Then as soon as they've sorted this mess out, move your account. Assholes :mad:

Check yer PMs in a few minutes, duck.
  8. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

Don't cry!!

This happened to me in June. Got to Saddleworth for Whit Marches and machine wouldn't let me get any money out of my bank. Found out by looking on the computer someone had withdrawn £750 from my bank account in Australia! Really shook me up as I'm normally really careful about using ATMs etc. Anyway, contacted bank immediately and it took them AGES to sort out. I got a full refund though.

One thing I got them to do was to extend my overdraft by about £1000 to cover all direct debits etc. They also said they would refund charges on my account if I went over my overdraft limit. I would call your bank again and insist they do something like this. It's not fair to charge you when it's THEIR system that's gone wrong.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If your bank card was cancelled at the time you informed the bank, then there shouldn't be much of a problem regarding risk of further fraudulent debits. It was a lot of money that has been taken from your account (possibly 3 or 4 transactions?). Until the fraud team investigate it and return the funds, it might be worthwhile asking if a temporary overdraft could be arranged to avoid charges for unpaid direct debits or standing orders just as Goldie Horn suggests.
  10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Arrrgh nightmare!!!!

I had the same thing a couple of years ago!

At the time I was bieng paid weekly. Got paid every friday and had been working night shift Thursday night/Friday morning, so checked my account during the night to make sure my wages had gone in (especially as I'd done an 84 hour week the previous week so was expecting loadsamoney!!!) Everything had gone through ok at 2am so I was happy, finished my shift, was home in bed by 7am.

1pm after I'd got up, showered etc, went to the cashpoint to draw out a tenner to get some grub.....insufficient funds???? Tried another ATM....insufficient funds...PANIC!!!

Went to bank and got a statement and there was £9 odd in my account......went to my branch and they told me there was a withdrawl that day which basically emptied my account to the nearest tenner!!! I'd planned on putting a paying the deposit for the room I was moving into the following week (luckily, I showed the landlord all the details from the bank/police and he was very understanding!!) I'd been in my room and my card was still in my wallet!!

This is where I started getting wound up, I went between the police station and bank 4 times before anyone would make the first step, the bank said I had to report it to the police first because I needed a crime number, the police said I needed more details from the bank first. Eventually I got my crime number and the bank got back to me with details of the transaction that emptied my account. It turned out that the ATM used was in south london, 45 minutes after I finished my shift in Cambridge....A fast train to Kings cross (ie north london) takes 50 minutes! (Do the maths)The bank were more than willing to give me a cash advance but it took months for me to get my money, and the charges that the bank put on for an unauthorised transactions!

The point of boring you with this matter how carefull you are, people will do their best to rob you....card insurance is a waste of time, if you report it as soon as you realise there's a problem, the bank will give you your money back, I think I'm right in saying they're insured and/or they have a fund especially for this kind of thing....and....banks (and the police) will do anything to get out of actually doing some work!!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck...I know exactly how you feel!!
  11. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

We had just over £16,000 stolen from our bank account and the bank said we might not get it back! It was a bit worrying at the time, but eventually we got it back. :clap:

Its like the only time ever we've had that much money in the account, so I try to spend it all on clothes now so that there's none there to pinch again!
  12. Hey - that's a really unfair generalisation!

These can be very complex investigations involving several police forces, banks, internet fraud - & even more difficult if it involves a foreign country. The police need as much information as possible from the banks before they can start the investigation - they don't just issue a crime number then do nothing!

I agree it's a very distressing crime - but the object of the investigation is to try & find the criminals, not just to reimburse the cash.
  13. Di

Di Active Member

Wow, what a whole load of nightmare situations! :eek::eek: Thats terrible. I really hope you get sorted ASAP Crazy.
  14. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Cheers guys, they have extended my overdraft a bit, and i get paid next Fri so im not uber nackered in the cash dept.

Its a whole heap of ollbox (anagram ) right before crimbo
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- shame it had to happen in the first place!
  16. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The only reason I say what I said, was that the police told me it was up to the bank....the bank told me it was up to the police and I ended up walking backwards and forwards between the bank and the police station. I got the feeling that neither could be bothered!
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it would maybe help if you were given the correct advice to begin with ... for you to report it as a crime to the police, gather as much information about the transaction from the bank to give to them.
  18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I was recently contacted by my credit card company to ask if I'd authorised a £300 cash bet on a large internet site - it was the same day they rang me and based on my account history is not something I would normally do - they cancelled my card and replaced it within 2 days and I received a form to fill in stating that I hadn't given anyone my card or authorised them to use the numbers. They confirmed that they would immediately credit the deduction.

I've just received my new card statement which has a further transaction the next day for the same amount.

When I got my new card I had to ring the credit card company to acivate it and at the same time they asked if I would be interested in taking out "identity theft" insurance on the new card (£60 a year).

Just a thought, two spurious transactions go on my card, the company clearly know it's not me - why would they ring? Then I'm offered an insured cover against such an event - call me Mr Cynical but it does make you wonder.

and the other thing is I don't know how my card numbers were used yet - if it was done on line aren't you usually asked to fill in the security number on the back of the card before it can go through?
  19. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Have you used that card online before? Maybe someone got the details that way or through spyware etc? I've taken a bit of interest in card fraud recently and have been quite sad and researched online etc. It's quite amazing how they can do it to poor unsuspecting regular honest joes without you even realising until the cash has gone.
    At least your company credited your account straight away!

Just an update, i still await the refund of my missing 1800 US dollars and service charges and currency conversion fees. However, I was told last week by the fraud dept of my bank that they had already found out tht the money was taken from an ATM in buffalo USA ( surprise:rolleyes: it says so on my statement ) and it could be as quick as 10- 15 days, providing that they find it was actually fraudulent. For now i'm pink lint for xmas :( .