Frank Barnett, Obituary Notice 1930-2009

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by essexgirl, Oct 21, 2009.

1. essexgirl

essexgirl Member

With great sadness, Sale Brass announce the sudden death of Frank Barnett.

Frank collapsed and died on Thurs 15th October. He had been at rehearsal on the Monday and played at a band engagement the previous week.

A bandsman all his life, he started with Cheetham band in 1943, then became one of the first members of Besses boys on cornet under Jim Wright, where he was part of the band winning two hat tricks in the Junior British Open.
    He then played for Besses o th Barn on cornet and sop until the mid 60's apart from 2 years with the 9th Queen's lancers.
    Next a return to Cheetham for a spell and then back to Besses, where he was in the band under Roy Newsome when they won the British Open in 1982.

In 2000 he moved to Norfolk, joined Aylsham band and started playing euph and then conducting the band.
    He then became a founder member of Norfolk Wherry band which quickly rose from fourth to second section.

Frank and his wife Vera, only recently returned to Sale to be near family and he was delighted to find Sale Brass rehearsed just short walk from his house. He quickly became an integral part of the trombone section.

He was very proud of his son Stephen, a professional trombone player based in Northern Ireland and brought us Stephen's composition of a Fantasy on Ulster Folk Songs for us to play.

We will remember Frank as a lovely friendly guy, a true bandsman, always with a smile on his face and always with banding tale to tell.

He is sadly missed.

Our condolences to Vera, Stephen, Cath and all the family.

The band are honoured to have been asked to play at his funeral on Monday 26th Oct.

Soo Cook
    General Secretary
    Sale Brass Band
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Norfolk Wherry Brass were greatly saddened by the news of Frank’s death.

He had been an integral part of the band from its foundation in 2004, first on cornet, then euphonium and latterly as solo trombone. He was also our deputy MD and helped to form the Norfolk Wherry Youth Band, of which he was the MD.

Banding was in his blood. He enjoyed it immensely and with an infectious enthusiasm. I was privileged to sit next to him when he became our solo trombone player.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with Vera, Stephen, Cath and the family.
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

On behalf of my family I'd like to express our sympathies....I have many memories of Frank from my childhood during his time at Besses where he was part of what was essentially my extended family....

Very sad.
  4. essexgirl

essexgirl Member

A joint band of Sale and Norfolk Wherry Brass will be playing at Frank's funeral, with thanks to Les and our friends from Eccles for helping us out too