Frank Baernarts Variations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Masterblaster jnr, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

It just stumbled into my head what a delightful thing it would be if frank baernarts was to write a test piece.

What do we think it would be like musically????
    Would it be as cheesy as his arrangements????
    and if someone wrote variations about him, what????

strange i know, but i'm random like that :rolleyes:

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I don't think so :eek:

Non-existence. Crass, 4th Section - Tune/Accompaniment/Bass all the way through.

Worse :rolleyes:

Variations on How to Ruin a Good Tune

3. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Here we go again!

What are the chances of your starting an intelligent post instead of more Bernaerts Bashing?

Whether you like him or not the fact is he is still here selling lots of music to bands who need this level of music. Not all bands are made up of superstars and very basic music means they can give upto date concerts.

Believe Mr Bernaerts knows his market and targets it making me the most royalties of all my publishers by far.

Give it a rest eh!

4. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

There's a saying:

"Them that likes beer, drinks it, them that don't, leave it alone"

I don't think Frank expects any band to do a full concert of his music but is must be gratifying when they do!

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

And his name is spelled "Bernaerts", like Darrol already wrote...

6. Di B

Di B Member

I think his music has its place in a program for certain events.

As for the test piece idea I'd be interested to hear variants on ymca :) anyone fancy trying to do one? :)

7. Martin

Martin Member

Would it be called 'Talisman........', sorry, I mean 'Youngman for Brass Band' or would it be 'The One and Future Village People' :)

8. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I personally don't like his arrangements at all - too formulaic for my liking - however, they are generally well liked by audiences, because they are all tunes that they can recognise. Also, bands with 'issues' such as low membership etc can usually manage one of his arrangements - meaning lower section/youth bands etc can put together a concert programme that will sound reasonable.

Like I say, I personally don't like his arrangements at all - but there is a market for them (there has to be, or they wouldn't still be around lol!).....and each to their own eh?

9. Jan H

I don't know Frank personally, but I think he knows pretty well what his "limitations" are and that it is better to stick at what he does "best" (or what makes him the most money), so I don't think he will start writing test pieces.

In the early days of his carreer, he did some special arrangements on demand. For example he arranged the version of "Carnaval de Venice" that Stef Pillaert (euphonium Willebroek) often plays when he is a gust soloist. I think it is also on the 2002 EBBC highlights CD. (but it is not published)

10. floppymute

floppymute Member

often plays when he is a gust soloist. [/quote]

That'll be a hard blow then!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    arrangements
    rolleyes
    delightful thing
    head
  12. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hmm. A couple of points.

Firstly, FB's arrangements do nothing for me musically or technically and they never find their way in to the pad of my band. But each to their own.

Secondly, there are a large number of threads here on tMP that run in to dozens and dozens of posts about pieces people like or don't like. Composers that people like or don't. Arrangers people like or don't - so why should we "give it a rest" just because, maybe, some people don't like what is being said?

This is a public forum for people to share their opinions on subjects that are sensitive, controversial and sometimes downright funny. Just because some don't like the subject shouldn't disqualify others from discussing it - unless it becomes too personal. And then we have our superb mod team to oversee us all.

You never know, FB might be quite flattered that he's talked about a lot. All respect to him for what he does - but we shouldn't be prevented from talking about what he does.:cool:

13. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Emley did a wedding last week for a happy couple and when we asked them for choice of piece's to play during the background music section, When trying to track down stuff like Groovy Kind of Love, and Can you Feel the love tonight. FB's collection is ideal, maybe I wouldn't play tons of it in a conert but it's relevant to the younger generation and up-to-date. We also found his arrangements worked really well with not quite a full band, which i suppose is also why they work well with lower section bands who don't always have a full set of players. . .

14. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

Maybe not the most taxing of music, but audiences do tend to love them. They're great for playing at park jobs and you can still play them with depleated numbers. Beauty and the Beast has a gorgeous horn part, we played it at our wedding, our guests still talk about it.

15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Every generation of brassies needs it's basic, run of the mill, anyone-can-play-this-piece arranger.

How many of us started with Edrich Siebert, for example?

Or Stuart Johnson? Good ol' london prelude and children's march!

I have to say, I generally don't like his arrangements and have been guilty of giving them a fair bit of stick in the past - but then I am somewhat beyond them as a player so they aren't aimed at me so that makes sense. And there are one or two which work out alright. Hi s arrangement of "And all that Jazz" is a good, fun bandstand crowd pleaser for any level of band.

There are of course a couple of things to annoy a bandsman of any level though. First, the ubiquitous repeat, about eight bars before the end, right back to the top. I can't help thinking that it would be better to at least have a few "2nd time only" sections to avoid simply playing the whole piece twice.

And the selection type pieces sometimes contain rather clunky transitions from one tune to another. Particularly the "Sing when you're winning" selection we recorded for Yorkshire Water amongst other tunes (free MP3s available on their website...) has one or two transitions that are the musical equivalent of a line of sellotape. There's no reason beginner music has to be badly put-together.

Anything which gets youngsters and novices of all ages playing brass music is always going to be open to attack, but it's certainly what novice level bands need. Even higher level bands can use them as fillers on a programme, and they are usually very audience friendly.

The value is certainly there - even if it's difficult to see for some of us.

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

by all means bash away but remember that whatever level you compose/arrange/play for/at, there's always someone who knows better.

When you or your band can play one of his arrangements note perfect, with perfect phrasing, dynamic contrasts and with a flawless tone throughout then thats all well and good, but until that day you are still throwing big stones at others from the comfort of your tiny greenhouse as far as I'm concerned.

Fact: he makes a lot of money from serving a select, but most important (if beginners dont enjoy playing then they won't carry on.. simple as) segment of our movement.

Fact: they arn't designed to be intellectual works of art in the field of arranging, they have a purpose, and serve it well. Simple, easy in the most part, recognisable.

Fact: I'll be buying a few of his arrangements in the next few days to use with my youthband... there's only 15 of them at this time, and a year today I hope to have over a full band and to have progressed onto more challenging arrangements. Untill then, Frank keeps my kids, parents and audiences happy, which subsequently keeps me happy.. unless they play like ****.

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My opinion about this is that Joe Public is not out there to scrutinise an arrangement if it contains what he wants to hear ... the recognisable tune! Witty arrangements that go off on a tangent might be fun to play but not necessarily what the audience go to listen to.

18. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

One thinks the nail has been hit squarely on the head here.

19. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

"Final countdown" is one of his best imo, fantastic parts in it. I really enjoy playing it. My least favourite is "No matter what." I often imagine a team of arrnagers working furiously for FBmusic listening to radio and scouring the charts for arrangable pieces... For some reason in my mental image they are dressed as elves in Santas Grotto. Perhaps a little too much crimbo spirit for me.

Would people say that a childrens book - e.g. the Gurffalo is rubbish because it is not as taxing to read as War and Peace? Probably not. Horses for courses.

20. Jan H

We recorded that arrangement on CD in 1991!
    I agree that it's one of his better arrangements :)
    (relatively speaking of course ;) )

21. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Personally if people think i'm having a go at frank BERNAERTS, then i'm not.

If this would have been started a year or so ago than i probably would, because then, if i saw a piece of music with the words 'Frank Bernaerts' on, i would want to leave....but....having attempted to arrange 'You're the first, the last, my everything' by Barry White, i finally appreciated that even though his music is so repetitive it's untrue, and there is nearly always a repeat from about 36 from the end to bar 5, it takes a lot of skill to even get a piece to sound remotely like the original song.

So hats off to the man.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    arrangements
    rolleyes
    delightful thing
    head
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.