Four Outings

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Phil Green, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I'm looking for a recording of Four Outings for Brass (Previn). I've found a CD on Amazon but dispatch is two weeks away and I'm off to Oz in one! Does anyone have this in mp3 format that I could "borrow" for use on my iPod until the CD arrives?

Thanks in advance,
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

There is a recording available on the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble compilation 'The 20th Century album'. If Amazon take so long, then try places like Midland CD Club. It's also available in larger brannches of HMV and Virgin. As a PRS/MCPS employee, I can't really encourage the transfer of an mp3 version onto your iPOd! ;-)
  3. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Phil, I would recommend Virgin Megastore.
    I ordered a copy of Greatest Hits (£13.99) on a Friday evening. It was on my desk at work on Monday morning.
    Unfortunately, they're quoting 7-14 days for The 20th Century Album.
    Worth a call though;
  4. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

I would also recommend virgin. I order several CD's in the morning and had them by the next day!
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Actually, thinking about it Carl, do WoB not stock it?
  6. Active Member

Unfortunately not at the moment!
    However, you may have noticed that we are gradually trying to extend our range beyond purely brass band CDs and will have a couple of Canadian Brass titles to tell you about soon.
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Good stuff! You're already the leading stockist of brass band CDs in London by the proverbial street, as someone who's a fan of both bands and ensembles this is indeed good news!
  8. BVD Press

BVD Press New Member

There is also a version recorded by Center City Brass. Not sure if that would be more readily available than the Jone versions.

Great piece!
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Is that readily available? The only reason I ask is that on our MCPS database, I can't see a recording of this by CCBQ (I'm sure, having heard a couple of their recordings, it'll be excellent nonetheless!)
  10. BVD Press

BVD Press New Member

As far as I know it available fairly easily. Here is a link to the US Amazon:

I found it typing in "Street Song Center City"

The title of the CD is Street Song and contains some other great titles as well:

Fire Dance - DiLorenzo
    Street Song - Thomas
    Colchester Fantasy - Ewazan
    Dance Suite - Bernstein (my personal favorite on the album)
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I've found another recording with Four Outings on, namely by Stockholm Chamber Brass on the BIS label, in an album entitled 'Clockwork'. Hope this helps.
  12. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Ordered the CD I wanted from Midland CD Club on Tuesday, it arrived this morning.

Now comes the hard bit - commiting the tuba part to memory for a concert in a month! :shock: