Four Dances from Checkmate - Bliss/Ball

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Does anyone know of any recordings of this other than Sun Life Stanshawe's on the album Le Roi d'Ys? (Nothing wrong with said recording. Quite the opposite! I just wish to know if any other band recorded it).

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Le Roi d'Ys
    Checkmate - Bliss
    Sun Life Stanshawe
    recordings
    album Le Roi d'Ys
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Three of the four dances were recorded by Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band on their Checkmate LP (1978?) - one of the few on the short-lived 210 label. I believe that one movement was omitted because it would have made the testpiece too long.....ho hum.

I'm not aware that the album has been re-released on CD, whihc is a pity, as it was rather good - it also included early recordings of Philip Sparke's Fantasy for Euph, Derek Bourgeois's Serenade and a rather good reading of Tam O'Shanter's Ride.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

'Too long'? Stanshawe got through the four dances in 12'46''! :)

Thanks for the info Jim. I may try hunting that one down.

5. James Yelland

Too long for the 1970's anyway. In a spirit of helpfulness, and because Friday mornings tend to be slower than normal, I notice Keith Quinn has a copy available on his website:

http://www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/quinn.htm

Good luck!

6. GordonH

GordonH Member

Brighouse and Rastrick recorded them in the 70's (2 movements at least). I had the album and it gave me a life long interest in Arthur Bliss. As a Scot I have a soft spot for his music for the Ballet "Miracle in the Gorbals". Someone needs to arange some of this for band. All of his Ballet's debuted with Robert Helpmann as the male lead (he who went on to become famous as the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang).

7. James Yelland

Gosh, yes, I'd forgotten that one. It was the album which also had Un Vie de Matelot and March Wellington on, and yes, I'm sure you're right, it was just two movements. I think the LP was untitled - just called The Brighouse and Rastrick Band. I'll dig it out of my platter collection when I get home.

8. GordonH

GordonH Member

9. James Yelland

They don't look any more ludicrous than the uniforms favoured by some of our more 'traditional' bands!

10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

If there's a more recent recording of the whole thing (I have Sun Life's recording as well) I'd be very interested to hear it. Though it's a favourite of mine, It's a piece I've never competed on, though we did play the finale as the climax of an entertainments programme once.

As a lover of the darker side of music, I've always thought there had to be something special about a piece of music that was sufficiently violent that it made a small child in the front row turn white and start to cry...

11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I remember us taking 'The Rite of Spring' on tour with my county youth orchestra when I was 17 or 18. One of the concerts was given to a sports hall full of moody rowdy German teenagers who really didn't want to be there. We played something more twee and gentle, and they simply talked / shouted / threw paper aeroplanes around through it. Quite disconcerting... Then we gave them the final 'Danse Sacrale' from the Rite, and I've never seen such a transformation - by the end they were sitting, mouths open, in utter silence... After a while, they even remembered to clap. Powerful music!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Le Roi d'Ys
    Checkmate - Bliss
    Sun Life Stanshawe
    recordings
    album Le Roi d'Ys
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thanks again, Jim!

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'd be interested to hear a new recording of it, too. They'll have to go some to top Sun Life's though, in my view. Yes, there are a few cracks but I don't think it detracts from a powerful and brilliantly shaped performance. In fact the whole recording of Le Roi d'Ys is easily the brass band recording I listen too the most.