Founding a Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rainbowhorn, Mar 27, 2009.

1. rainbowhorn

rainbowhorn New Member

When i started brass banding there were plenty of bands of in my local area to choose from. Sadly today this is not the case, however there are plenty of players going about that could make up a new band.
    Having this in mind for a while now, i was wondering "How exactly do you start a band from scratch?"

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    new band
    bands
    mind
    local area
    scratch
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

There aren't plenty of players. At least not round here. Desperate shortage of cornets especially. Of the 3 bands within 25 miles, all of them need to dep for each other to put on any decent concerts, and there is one that will probably fold by the end of the year.

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

where are you based ?

maybe it would be easier/better to find a band that is need of some help.

If you really want to start up a band, try Mark Probert at Zone One, I think he was involved in starting them up.

5. Despot

Despot Member

Very first thing I imagine is find a potential rehearsal venue. Then either approach people or invite them to a meeting at the venue.

Once you know who's interested, you'll have an idea what instruments and other equipment you need to get.

Then you need money, lots of it!

6. rainbowhorn

rainbowhorn New Member

thanks for the advice

Any ideas on funding? I'm in Scotland

7. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Where in Scotland are there plenty of players going about? Send them to local bands who need players! :p

8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

With great difficulty!

I'm one of the founder members of the Edinburgh University Brass Band, and it was alot of work! Five years later, although I'm not involved in the band any more it is going strong.

First (and most important thing) is to ask if there is a demand. In this case there was, many brass playing students who were in the area for maybe 9 months of the year, and didn't want tied down to a band here, but still want to play. We were formed to cater for a gap.

Depending on where in Scotland you are (it is a big place after all!) bands in some areas are rather scarce, and more abundant in others, so it's important not to tread on other bands toes, and pinch players.

Once you have players, music, rehearsal facilities, constitution, etc, you can think about applying for funding, but thats a long way off. The basics must be in place or any funding body wont entertain your application.

Sounds as if I'm being negative, but if you want to PM me some more details, I'll see what I can do to help.

9. rainbowhorn

rainbowhorn New Member

If the local bands were struggling, the surplus players wouldn't be surplus! There is a need in my area for another band, otherwise i wouldn't have posted the question in the first place. I can't believe that such a positive thought has got a negative response.

10. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

*sigh* calm down, I wasn't having a go (Notice the smiley face on the end of my post?).

Good luck.

11. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

This is a policy that some well-established bands would do well to implement :mad:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    new band
    bands
    mind
    local area
    scratch
  13. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

In my opinion it's also very important to have some good contacts with local bands for music loans and deps in the early days when money's tight - Broxburn & Livingston band were fantastic when we started up, loaning us most of the music for our first concert, which obviously we couldn't afford to shell out £3-400 needed, having no income!

We were very fortunate with EUBB as the university give us free rehearsal space, free concert space, the music dept advertise our concerts for free and there are maintenance and capital grants available from the the students' union every year. We do work very hard to make our own money too through concerts, busking etc etc but definitely wouldn't be the band we are without all the outside financial help - which must be quite hard to find if you're not in the position we are as part of the larger uni umbrella.

Funding wise - I believe we approached the Scottish Arts Council a few years ago in the quest for some instruments, but with no joy. Maybe the guys at the SBBA can help in pointing you down the right funding avenues... ?

Best of luck, looks to me as if you've got a player base so it's just a matter of finding some money.

14. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

setting up a new band from scratch is a lot harder than you might think.......trust me:)

15. Band_Beefcake

Band_Beefcake Member

You might want to get in touch with Paul Andrews, formed Wire Brass in the North West who went from 4th section to championship in around 5 years I think. Recently came 4th and North West regionals. Also he's a really nice guy and I'm sure could offer some good advice.

16. rainbowhorn

rainbowhorn New Member

Hello all. Just to let everyone know that we have succeeded in founding Deveron Brass
    We begin rehearsals on Tuesday the 21st of April in Banff, NE Scotland
    Everybody welcome.
    Jill

17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Bit far to commute - and I'm registered elsewhere - but best of luck :clap: