forwards or backwards?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by starperformer, Sep 29, 2006.

where is your playing going?

1. getting better every day

2. dining out on the glory years

3. going sideways

4. won't know what i sound like till next time i dob in at practice

1. starperformer

starperformer Member

what direction is your playing going at the moment?
  2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

A hard one to answer, hence sideways.

Individually and technically i feel like i am improving and I am actually doing some proper practice for the first time in ages (i've finally opened a copy of the Arben afetr 15yrs of playing - it's dead easy with my "Bassmittens" on:biggrin: ) I want to improve personally, so i can find harder band parts easier to cope with. Bandwise though, who knows :confused:
  3. Forwards in the sense we now have over 25 blowers (had twelve 2/3 yrs ago) to choose from for contests but we still come last in contests as have inexperienced players, intonation problems and a small dynamic range unless my perc colleagues and I are going for it. We usuually get told to quieten down for balance in ff sections!
  4. persins

persins Member

An interesting poll!

It is difficult to answer that one at the moment! I know that I'm not playing as well as I have done in the past but I still think that I'm at a reasonable level! With the pieces we're playing through at the moment, I'm sure I'll be back in form shortly!!
  5. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Sideways - mainly because I'm juggling between flugel, trumpet and occasionally cornet and as a consequence my cornet playing has suffered yet my flugel is hopefully improving all the time (when I actually get round to practising).
  6. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

As I only just moved to Tenor Horn, and I put in around 2 hours playing/practise each day; it would be difficult not to be improving.
  7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Would this question be better aimed at conductors?

What players/sections in your band are moving in which direction?
  8. bennem

bennem Member

Now that is an interesting poll Stevetrom.....

Do the cornets tend to improve their playing year on year or

More likely the cornets only pick up their playing when a new boy/girl joins the section and a bit of jossliing for seats takes place.
  9. westburykid

westburykid Member

I never know till about 30 mins into a rehearsal how things are going, just done the Finals with my band and was happy with how I played.
    First reheasal back though was a nightmare, splits, bad tuning, mispitching.........
  10. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

This may sound a little egotistical, but due to some very intense practice over the last 6 years (about 1-2 hours a day, rarely missing a day) I've never played better. Can't rest on laurels, though, because the music is very difficult and I want to sustain the momentum. I wish I had more time for practice, but eating and living in a home do have their benefits.
  11. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

At the minute, thanks to a lot of encouragement and practice my playing is going from strength to strength
  12. I played a pretty little cadenza on wednesday, that I haven't been able to play before. It's a nice surprise when there is proof of the pudding in the eating!
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I must confess that personally my playing is at best going sideways. For various reasons I have not been around as much as usual over the past couple of months, and so have not really been able to get down to some serious playing. I'm currently looking forward to next Saturday's concert at Hadleigh with Gary Fountain and his son, and then depping with Becontree the week after to give me something to get my teeth into - I'm sure Graham will make me work!
  14. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Going forward!

Literally, just this week I feel my playing is going forward again at last! I came home from rehearsal thinking I had actually made a good contribution! Mainly a confidence thing; our last MD wanted everything double quick and double loud and as 3rd man I felt I was just getting away with it, top 2 guys did it their way and I just tried to keep up! (In fact, that could have been said for the band as a whole.) This week was the first time for yonks I had happily taken 1o bits, and felt satisfied with what came out. Hope I keep it up! :D
  15. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

2 steps forwards, 1 step back at the moment.
  16. vonny

vonny Member

Having made a drastic change from cornet to Euphonium in just 12 weeks my playing is improving. I have gained much confidence over the years from playing cornet but I feel my potential will be reached on euph.
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Interesting poll this. I think my playing is creeping forwards, which is a surprise as I haven't touched my flugel properly for about four weeks now (a holiday and work commitments). But playing at rehearsal last night I was pleasantly surprised at the playing standard I was reaching. I guess that means one of two things - I'm either not as bad as I think I am, or (more likely) there was an element of beginners luck involoved and over the next week everything will unravel spectacularly...:rolleyes:
  18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well a good thread this one i have to say:clap:
    Myself i feel my playing as got better over the last 5 weeks in general, we have just had a new conductor who will only except the best playing you can give every time all the time.:clap: I have always practised almost each day since starting playing all those years ago apart from when i had a break from banding a few years ago.
    Its made me think a lot more on how i practise and the way i practise,thinking can i do better than i have just played.
    I know what my weak points are and concentrate on those and continue my strenghs.
    But always make sure i play for 15 mins on Hymn Tunes for my overall sound and tone.;)
  19. Sabrina_2

Sabrina_2 New Member

1 step forward 2 steps back! But then I put that down to the 'knock backs' I keep getting. One minute I'm okay to play principle, when there's no one else to play it, the next I'm not good enough and the band need to find someone to play this position permanently! :mad:
  20. Forwards...

As principle Bass Trombone, and even Solo Bass Trombone from time to time, I think I'm going in the right direction. When I moved along the row from Tenor to Bass I was concious of two things - firstly I wanted to maintain a good range, allowing me to play tenor parts as required, and I seem to have managed this. I helped a band out recently on 1st Trombone, and coped surprisingly well! Secondly, I wanted to maintain a Trombone sound, not develop a distinctive bass trombone sound, if you know what I mean! Whether that is the case was doubtful a few weeks ago, when I played a bum note and the Eb bass was blamed by the conductor - I think I was as upset as they were!!

Picking up on a point raised above about the quality of practice, there's an interesting BrassCast with Bass Trombonist Douglas Yeo, who talks about what and how to practice. One difficulty on an instrument like bass trombone, is that practising band parts isn't the most challenging or rewarding use of time. I think that looking at potential solos may be more useful...

I have to say I love my practice mute too - there are big gains to be had here for anyone not using one. You don't need to spend any money, just put a cloth around your straight mute. The extra resistance makes you work harder, and when removed you'll find a much much bigger, rounder sound.