Formula 1-Honda F1 Racing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Was really excited to hear that Ross Brawn has joined Honda for 2008, I think he can make the difference for Jenson at Honda, he's exactly what the team needs, someone with his tactical brilliance may pull a few surprise results for Honda (as long as the car's not a dog like 2007).

I would love to see Jenson have a good year this year, I think he deserves it. Must be particularly hard for him to see Lewis Hamilton hop straight in a far superior car (Macca) and hog all the limelight in 2007!

2. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I agree Rob, this is great news for Honda, Ross Brawn certainly has a huge amount of expertise to offer. I won't hold my breath waiting for rapid results though, these things can take time, but Button could probably expect to do quite well if he's prepared to work hard with Ross and the team. It should be an interesting season, can't wait :)

3. Robhibberd29

You're right Becks, I don't expect rapid results either. The car needs to be much imrpoved over last year's pathetic effort of an F1 car but I think on the odd occasion with some bad weather for example, they may be able to pull something out of the bag. This was in fact how he won his only race win, the Hungarian GP in '06.

It will certainly be an interesting season! May I just add that I'm absolutely delighted to have some input on this thread from the fairer sex, I'm dead chuffed to see we have another common interest as well as banding and drinking!...Go girl!!! :)

4. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

True, I'm sure they will be able to pull something out of the bag, even if a certain amount of luck is required. At least, I hope they do, it will be a great boost for the team, and particularly for Button who needs exactly that. He has quite a lot of experience under his belt now which he and Brawn could potentially use to advantage over Hamilton, given the right conditions like you said. Fingers crossed!

I worked in motorsport for a number of years. Lost touch a bit when I left, but the last year or two have been getting interesting again. Getting excited now :D

5. Robhibberd29

I always start getting excited at this time in anticipation of the new season. A lot of the car launches are around my birthday which is good, then it starts getting really interesting. I'm looking forward to attending another test day at Silverstone or maybe even the British GP if I'm really lucky!

For me the two main hurdles at Honda to overcome are the car and their racing tactics. The '07 car was awful and the tactics were non existent. Hopefully Ross Brawn will turn the tactics round and make it a strong point there. That leaves the car. On that one I guess we'll have to wait for testing to start. Maybe the homologation of elements of the car (ie engine management system) will help in that respect as they will all be on an even playing field.That is, of course as long as they all play by the rules or don't "bend" them as always happens! The "flexing" wing at Ferrari for example.

The other element is the drivers and in my own opinion they already have 2 excellent drivers. My concern there is how longer are they prepared to drive such a poor car. Food for thought :)

6. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

mmmmm....Ross Braun going to Honda.......will we start to see a few Ferrari improvements being initiated (wouldn't mention stolen intellectual property)......and he did leave before it all kicked off.....just a thought.

That aside....great news for the Honda team.

Sud

7. Robhibberd29

I think Ross's great strength is understanding a race and reacting accordingly to make the situation advantageous for his team....now Honda!

He is exactly the guy Honda has been missing, whatever he does will make an improvement for them I'm sure.Let's face it, they couldn't have got much worse!

8. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I agree with Rob ^

It's my belief that Brawn is above all that kind of thing. And anyway, he'll be looking to improve Honda, not recreate Ferrari. That'll mean responding to the situation at Honda. Which is what he's done everywhere else he's worked and is widely respected in motorsport for. Seems to me that Brawn is entirely skilled enough to not have any requirement for Ferrari IP.

9. Robhibberd29

Well put Becks, the "craftiness" at Ferrari, for my money, is down to Jean Todt. I've thought that for a long time but it seemed even more obvious when Barrichello left. Who get the seat....Massa.....a very close friend of Todt's family! What a shocker! Don't get me wrong, it's done him the power of good. He was terrible at Sauber, totalling cars left right and centre, and has improved more than I certainly thought possible in his time at Ferrari, but there were more talented drivers available at the time he got the seat. Remember Todt passing the piece of paper over to Brawn to tell Barrichello to let Schumacher win in Austria in '06, causing the whole audience to Boo when he finished? Todt's handiwork. He looks too much like Napoleon for my liking :)

10. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Hmm, I'm inclined to agree, I never have liked Todt. And we should bear in mind that (apart from looking like Napoleon :lol: ), the main difference between Todt and Brawn is that Todt is every bit the ruthlessly competitive Team Boss with a bit of driving experience, while Brawn is first and foremost a highly skilled Engineer. I daresay Brawn will be just as competitive, but he has the skills and experience to not have to resort to underhand Todt-like doings.

As for the drivers and their willingness to stick with a poor car, in my opinion, they would be foolish not to really, it will become a much improved car if they give it half a chance. They should at least feel encouraged anyway, and I don't think they would have much to gain in the long run by jumping ship now. I'm getting excited again LOL :D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Honda
    F1 Racing
    Formula 1
    Ross Brawn
    Jenson
  12. Robhibberd29

Well I can see we're up for a very healthy debate here! Some very good points there Becks. I find it very encouraging that you agree with me about Todt/Brawn, you obviously know what you're talking about with your F1 background.

With regards to the car, I know Jenson has been quoted as saying if there is no drastic improvement in the car this year he may look to move and lets face it, there are far better cars out there, The new Macca looks absolutely stunning, even before they add the new aero parts before the first race for March (not long now!) and the Toyota is supposed to be much Improved for '08 but they haven't got as good a calibre driver (in my opinion) but they certainly have the budget. Renault will be buoyed by the fact that Alonso is back with them which should give them a massive boost. Ferrari still the team to beat I reckon but Button is a better driver than Massa for my money.

I take heart from the fact that Honda have also hired a whole host of new aero personnel, which was the car's major downfall in '07, I just hope they can realise their potential. Will this be enough?

13. Robhibberd29

What a difference with a different owner! from Honda F1 Racing to Brawn GP and it's a whole different turn out...Honda must really be kicking themselves because most of this success is inherited from the investment Honda put into the car before they sold the team. They were the first to develop the current car and its paid dividends at the start of the season to date...but paid the dividends to Brawn GP not Honda.

14. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

A season always makes a difference in F1 which is why I love it. Got to give it to Ross Brawn. I always thought the honda engine was a bit unreliable.

15. Robhibberd29

You're not wrong there, and plenty teams would also agree I'm sure :)