forming a training band.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hells_baritone, Aug 15, 2006.

1. hells_baritone

hells_baritone New Member

at our band we are aiming to form a new training band, as we try and get more young blood into the bandroom....this idea is relatively new to us, and any advice or past experiences would be most helpful.

the biggest obstacle we will have to overcome will be getting instruments for the new band....does anyone know what methods of funding would be available for this?

any advice would be much appreciated! thanks
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think there are a few other threads dotted about that will help, certainly there is one about junior band music.
    For funding, try your local council. Ours put us in touch with an organization that brings together societies needing money with those that have grants available, this helped a lot as it meant we weren't applying to people who didn't deal with our type of society etc. We have just been given £2000 to buy horns and trombones from a trust local to us.
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Thank you, Francis - I knew those threads were out there, just couldn't get search to find them quickly enough.

One point about instruments for youngsters - before you issue an instrument, take a few moments to educate both the young player and their parents (if possible) on proper care of and respect for the instrument - will save you repair bills in the future if you explain things like the proper way to oil valves, pull slides, etc. I've had more than one instrument show up at a youth band rehearsal with damage because some kid's father tried to use a pipe wrench to loosen a valve cap or pull a stuck mouthpiece.
  5. Teenibeen

Teenibeen Member

We have a training band up and running but it was to begin with just a split up of a big band. We then added to those players and then have formed a small beginners group which feeds to the training band which in turns feeds the contest band. It took time and just buying the odd instrument when we could afford it. If you are dealing with youth and education in any way and giving them something to do and something they can use after they leave school then you can apply to many organisations such as the lottery, children in need and awards for all. If you talk to the person you would normally buy instruments from aswell they may have dealt with bands who recieved lottery grants towards instruments and would know how to go about it.
  6. persins

persins Member

I know that a number of bands have bought older instruments off ebay when trying to start out.
    It is always worth trying to source funding from local councils or lottery grants etc. but for the most part, you have to convince them that you are also willing to work hard to generate the money etc yourselves.
    Forging links with other bands / people in the area will also help. People and bands may choose to change instruments and purchase new ones. They may be prepared to sell / donate you the old ones in some circumstances.
    I definitely agree with the comments regarding education in the ways of instrument maintenance. Pliers may seem like a good idea at the time, but trust me, it isn't!
    Make sure you have access to someone who can repair instruments too as some will definitely need it.

Good luck!

7. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Don't know if this is stating the obvious but another key aspect is to have the support of some of your senior band. We do something similar at Gresley...Not only does it help support the overall sound of the youthers, it also adds bums on seats and helps with keeping their little chops quiet!

As for instruments, beg, borrow and steal!

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

we did an appeal in our local paper for any old unwanted instruments that were lying around unused
  9. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

also important to the junior band is the conductor of it. If fact they usually end up doing most other things on top as well. If you support your conductor by sitting in with the young players they usually end up improving twice as fast. Also lead by example, no point telling kids to practice if you personally don't! And always to turn up if you miss rehearsal a lot.
  10. hells_baritone

hells_baritone New Member

cheers.....great stuff....shall bear that all in mind!
  11. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

It is very important that the conductor does get support from senior players it is a great help when beginners can hear what it is supposed to sound like. Sometimes no matter how much explanation you put in, the point you make only sinks in when the learner hears someone actually doing it.

On the instrument front I found the best way to get reasonably cheap instruments was to go on ebay but do be careful there is a lot of rubbish out there. If you buy for beginners (i.e. cheap instruments) when you have enough beginners even paying a minimum amount of subs an instrument fund soon builds up. We charged £10 per half year plus £5 for the hire of the instruments. Not bad when they get tuition and an instrument.
  12. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

One point I'd make is... don't worry if you don't get too many kids through the door to start with..... we got 10 from our open afternoon (also a really good idea for getting new people! We gave out leaflets to people passing with kids to get them to come in) and it may not seem many..... but trying to teach 10 kids brass with only one hour a week and only 1 conductor and 2 helpers in a LOT harder than it seems! Our ten are all doing really well though, 2 are even starting to look at Grade 1 music already!

Good Luck with your venture and hope you have lots of success with it and lots of little mini banders!

13. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I agree build slowly at first you can put people off if they don't get enough attention. We started with 8 and built to 43 it can be done but be patient.

I wish you the best too. The movement as a whole needs training bands.
  14. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

When our junior band needed new players, we sent out members of the senior bands to local schools and told them about the open day we were having, showed them some of the instruments and got them interested. Most of the players that joined in that open day are now in the senior band, several of which sit on priniciple seats. As for funding of new instruments, i believe getting a lottery grant, and buying the senior band new instruments and then cleaning and repairing the old instruments and giving them to the younger members was an effective way of providing instruments. older instruments are a lot more basic and thus more suitable for learners, no point in giving new children brand new instruments with more triggers than they can count, i found a cheap Euphonium once with 2 triggers, and 5 valves!

Good luck in the Training Band! Hope all goes well!