Forgot to take instrument to band practise

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well in all my 34yrs of playing tonight i got to band and had forgot to put my Baritone in my car:eek:
    A good job the band had got a spare Baritone for me to play.
    Have you ever forgot to take your instrument to band practise at all at any time?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band practise
    eek
    good job
    car
    spare Baritone
  3. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Nope...

4. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

forgotten my mouthpiece - not my instrument though.

5. leisa

leisa Active Member

lol i am ashamed to admit that i have yes! usually i leave it in my boot between rehearsals and for some reason i decided to take it out and completely forgot to put it back in! Luckily my lovely band had a spare in the cupboard so i just used!

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Wot, no practice.

I can talk. Last week I went all the way to band only to find that I'd taken the tuba home after a contest and left it in the garage.

7. leisa

leisa Active Member

ahem no. i dont have time generally

8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I've been known to "forget" my cornet on occasion and done the rehearsal on my trumpet which just happened to be in the boot of my car instead................ ;)

9. sunshine

sunshine Member

What's worse than forgetting to take your instrument to practise?

I once forgot to take my husbands euphonium to an indoor band Christmas concert. Because of the amount of equipment we take - often me & my husband (Pete) needed to take separate cars. His was loaded up with stands, spare blazers, music, parts of the drum kit and a Bb bass, plus his daughter who plays cornet. All I had to take was the conductors stand, his euph and my baritone.

Got to the venue, helped him unload his car, then went to mine to get our instruments - when he asked - "Where's my instrument?" :eek: Yep, I'd left it at the band club. :oops:

The 2nd euph had to sit out the first few numbers, whilst Pete played his euph, whilst the conductors wife quickly drove back to the club to pick it up.

Thankfully times have changed now and we are all responsible for our own gear, which means we can usually get away with using just one car. So Pete knows what's packed and whats not and I keep out the way.

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Happened to me the other week after I'd depped with Becontree on the Saturday: turned up at the hall Sunday morning, got out the bass and realized I'd left the mouthpiece behind - quite an interesting experience playing a four-valve sovereign using an old euphonium mouthpiece with paper wrapped round it to make it stay in the shank :eek:

11. MartinT

MartinT Member

The other week I left for the pub at the end of a rehearsal... A bit later The Fish turned up with my BBb, having lugged it along the road to the pub for me. :oops:

Early Alzheimers, or what? :eek:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band practise
    eek
    good job
    car
    spare Baritone
  13. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

In my last band the 2nd Baritone forgot to take his instrument back on with him at the start of the second half of a concert !!

14. RussQ

RussQ Member

when i was younger i used to get the bus to rehearsal and on the way home got on the bus only to realise a mile up the road that i had left my flugel at the bus stop! The bus driver very kindly stopped the bus while i hot footed it back to the bus stop. Amazingly it was still there! (Damn! I was hoping to claim for a shiny new Strad!)

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Recently went on a band tour to Holland. After a gruelling trip from Mid Wales (I drove down from home) the band unloaded the bus to find that the 2nd trombone had left her instrument in the boot of the car back in Knighton and it hadn't been loaded in the first place!

16. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

nothing quite as glamourous for me - I tried my hand on Soprano (and got a decent sound I must say :D) and left it in the case and I'd given my David King mouthpiece that cam with the sornet to someone else :oops:

17. millie6589

millie6589 Member

I've left my horn at home when going to a concert...I think it was Christmas time and we were playing in the city centre, so I parked my car etc., took the music and a stand out of the boot, walked all the way to the place we were playing and suddenly realised I didn't have my horn. I did make it back in time for the 2nd half though ;)

18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Me, never. But I remember a cornet player loading up the cars to go to Pontins and leaving his cornet in the middle of the road! Fortunately his neighbour saw it and took it in for him.

19. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I once drove 60 miles for a concert, went to the boot of the car and all I found were my golf clubs. Luckily it was in a town centre on a Saturday lunchtime and the local music shop kindly came to the recue and lent me a trombone.

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I will add to this as well ;
    when i got home and pulled up onto the drive id left my baritone in front of the garage as id taken out the refuse bin to be collected in the morning.
    Good job the folks around here are honest;)

21. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

yes. fortunately i didnt live too far away at the time so only lost about 20 minutes!

i have forgotten my uniform twice for CONCERTS - the first time i did a record (and law) breaking dash back across town to get it, making it back with 3 minutes to spare, the other time, i realised about 10 minutes into my drive to the gig and judged i had just enough time to go back and get it...i did, but it wasn't fun!

that's the joy of having two uniforms to wear!

22. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I remember doing Pontins many years ago for the British Steel Teesside Band and loading the Coach we were using and the band Chairman running round and checking everything had been loaded.

He then got on the coach and went on the mike and said "i Hope None Of You Idiots At the Back have forgotten anything. Coz if we get there and somethings missing i will kill you!!!!"

Oh how we laughed when we got the rehearsal venue and discovered the Chairmans horn was still in the bandroom. ha ha ha