For the composers here----the best time for you to write??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kenneth D. Friedrich, Aug 3, 2004.

1. As Charley Brighton can attest, my optimum writing time is between 10 pm to 5 am. Is anyone else a night owl writer? Historically, any accounts as to when composers preferred to compose?

Kenneth D. Friedrich
    www.kfsbrasschamber.homestead.com

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    Kenneth D. Friedrich
    composers
    night owl writer
  3. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Usually earlier in the day when my mind isn't shattered by days events ... only the best composition ideas usually arrive in my head when I'm miles from any computer or notebook. :?

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Same here! I'm 300 miles away from my PC and the other day came up with some great ideas.......... nothing to hand to get anything written down... then *POOF!*..... forgotten it all :(

As for best time of day; it doesnt really make much difference. I've written at all sorts of different times throughout the whole day and night...

Frame of mind however, *does* make a difference! :?
    but that's a different story ;-)

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

No set time of day, but time of year - usually summer holidays when I can scrape the kids out of my head :twisted: and wash the smell off my skin :twisted:

Best time for getting ideas is like everybody else - when you can't get to some way of writing it down. Memory is such a fragile thing :cry:

I do also have the annoying habit of getting out of bed in the middle of the night to jot things down. Disturbs the whole household. :shock:

6. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

:lol:
    Have a pad by my bed to take notes.
    Good for writing down dreams too in case you forget a good'un.

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

For me, I find the time immediately after band practive the most productive.

Cuts into sleeping thoughzzzzzzzzzzzz

8. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I normally have my best ideas late at night. However, daytime is usually better when it comes to making sure said ideas are actually playable - more than once I've come back to a piece the next morning and gone "well it sounds great but it's physically impossible!" :shock:

Couldn't agree more - and it may be a different story but I think we've all been there in one way or another!

Dave

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Usually inspiration arrives when it's most inconvenient. I have been known to boot up the ol' computer at 2am just because I've worked out a way to make that hideous key-change work, or where two parts should swap over etc. Makes getting up for work in the morning precious difficult though!

As for duration, 5 minutes inspired genius is often worth seven hours hard graft. (Not that I'm often particularly inspired, nor am I EVER a genius!)

P.S. The best time for checking parts for errors is just after you've printed them all out. Guaranteed you'll never notice that mis-placed accidental until the blasted thing's down on paper! :wink:

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

But at least that's better than the third cornets finding the one you've missed - you know, where you've given them a super C hemidemisemiquaver and then 3 bars later pedal D#.

It took me a while to live the last one down :oops: :oops:

11. Mr. Sparke and some of the other giants, I hope you have a chance to comment on this subject. Just wondering how kindred spirits go about their craft.

Most of the music that pops in my head happens while driving. I try to remember the first couple of measures and get it down when I get home. The rest comes like a freight train usually and nighttime is the best for quiet around, what with two kids buzzing around during operating hours.

Ken F.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    Kenneth D. Friedrich
    composers
    night owl writer
  13. jambo

jambo Member

Me too, amazing some of the rubbish you can come up with at night isnt it.

As for best time for composing...after a long date with Mr Jack Daniels is quite good. :guiness

14. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Whenever inspiration strikes - can be a leetle bit unconducive to happy family life tho if inspiration strikes at 4am... :roll:

Rach x