For students struggling to afford meals...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by cornetshell, Apr 19, 2005.

1. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

I have discoverd some great meals- ideal when you have those odd cans of bits and bobs in the cupboard- and have little or no money left of your student loan!!

Prep time: about 10 mins..... Cooking time: 30-50mins

- Bacon Hotpot serves 3/4 [depends how hungry you are!! ;) ]

Get a dish suitable for cooking in the oven
    [A totally metal saucepan or deep Roasting/Baking tray would do...but those Pyrex dishes are much better...]

1 pack of bacon
    Take 3 large potatoes [you can get them cheap loose in supermarket]
    Wash them&peel if desired- [i leave the skin on!]
    and slice thinly so you get "crisp" sized slices....

Peel and Slice an onion in the same way...

Now layer potato, Onion and Bacon in the dish until full or out of food![a layer of potatoe at the bottom, then do a layer of onoin, then bacon, and repeat - try and finish with a layer of potatoe]

Now cover in a can of chicken or mushroom cream soup. pour over the hotpot- until covered.

If you have any cheese laying about grate some of that on top-
    now put in your oven, on about 200degrees, go watch Tv for half -an hour, and come and check....Continue cooking until golden brown and bubbly ontop.

Serve in your favourite [Clean if possible....] dish...and enjoy.

For a Veggie option use 2/3 courgettes instead of the Bacon, and try a can of tomato Soup instead of the creamy soups.....
    [its actually cheaper too!!]

Looks posh, tastes yummy- and is easy to make-

Give it a go- i dare you
  2. Jamie

Jamie Member

Hmm, I'm suitably impressed!
    I use those old cans of soup (bought when we thought we'd eat them in September (well, 3 for £1!!)... still there the following May when we're all packing to go home...) as a base for sauces for chicken or pasta mostly, but I'm sure you could pour them elsewhere!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... any past or present students went through the soya mince period yet? It is cheap, but ...
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

... and tastes it... :)
  5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Soya wot? :confused: Nope!

It's always good to experiment with random tins in the cupboard... sometimes you may even surprise yourself!
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I made a delicious Pilaff t'other day;

Fry off some chicken, add an onion and fry that too.

Add some washed, uncooked rice, fry that around for another 3 mins.

Add a tin of toms, and a pint or so of chicken stock (chix stock cube and boiling water ;)).

Cook until the rice doesn't break your teeth. Cheap, easy, quick and nice :D
  9. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Fantastic!! :clap:

I'm definitely going to use that when I go off to uni in October! :D
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

bacon?? have you seen the price of that stuff???
  11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and of course corned beef hash - use potatoes, onions, carrots and corned beef with a dash/splash of Hendersons Relish* (for those based in Sheffield) or Worcestershire Sauce (for those elsewhere). Two versions either use mashed potatoes or diced and have a roast potato style.

Fry onion, carrots in an oven proof dish add beef & potatoes (mashed or diced) and place in oven leave for 20-30 minutes.

* Hendersons Relish is made in Sheffield but is far superior to Worcestershire sauce - expats of Sheffield stock up on this when returning to the city but I think it can be ordered worldwide on the tinternet. A regular rumour in the Sheffield area relates to the imminent closure of this company - panic buying of said product then takes place and the shelves get emptied. It's probably the best marketing ploy ever and ensures the company keeps going.
  12. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Not if you buy Asda smart price bacon pieces. It's about 50p for a huge packet
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  13. becks164

becks164 Member

that sounds like a really good idea i will let my friends no bout that one, we are cooking something on saturday nite i think
  14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Neither tea bags nor jelly in the water increase the appeal of boiled rice.
    Three years well spent, I feel.
  15. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Most supermarkets sell economy bacon, usually a pack of off-cuts.

Sainsbury call theirs 'Cooking Bacon' !! :-? :-?
  16. lewis

lewis Member

Wot about Heinz All Day Breakfast in a can? It's only about 80p and that used to set us up nicely for a day in the pub.
  17. Jamie

Jamie Member

I may be in debt, but I'd rather be in more debt than do that to myself!

Drives me nuts when I see stuff like frozen, pre-chopped cabbage! Buy a flippin cabbage.... and chop it yourself!!! Am one of those students who'll have one less pint in favour of a far more nourishing meal! As much as we try, we can't live on snakey-B!!
  18. lewis

lewis Member

You're damned right you can't live on snakey-B, I've got a friend who did try it for about 10 years and he has to puke after 2 or 3 pints now, but bless him he still tries :rolleyes:
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

'snakey-B' ??? Is this the same as a snake-bite .... half lager and half cider mixed in a pint glass??? :p

..... that takes me back to my younger drinking days! Slurp! :tongue:
  20. lewis

lewis Member

Half lager (preferably stella) half cider and the all important dash of blackcurrent juice. It adds a little taste but more importantly it makes your puke an amazing colour :woo :woo