For owners of brass band vinyl records - a mystery to solve

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Oct 30, 2005.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Attentions all collectors of brass band gramophone records (we used to call them LPs in the old days, you know). Do you have a copy of Black Dyke's 1969 album Champions Again! on the Golden Guinea label? I've had my copy since...oh, about 1969. And even today I can't work out what the sleeve photograph depicts. It's mostly metal, with a bit of wood and possibly paint, and I've had many sleepless nights about it.

The old Ask The Family quiz used to have close-up pictures of mystery objects, whose identity became more obvious as the camera pulled out, and I just know that the answer to this mystery is going to be blindingly obvious and make me look a fool. Form an orderly queue, now, everyone...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke
    Golden Guinea
    LPs
    collectors of brass band gramophone records
    old days
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... any chance of scanning the cover to remind us what it looks like?

4. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

looks like a load of scrap metal to me

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:mad: hummmph! (big one) ... is it the cover that's predominantly blue, grey and white? (I don't have that LP any longer).

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Why not contact some one from Black Dyke Mills Band from that era :3 i can think of John Slinger (Baritone),John Clough(Euph),Colin Hardy (Baritone),or Derrick Jackson or Jim Sheperd-maybe.

Its only a suggestion for you,someone on here might have a contact for you.

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

While I can't say I have lost sleep over it, that is one album cover that I wondered about when I first bought it and have never figured out since. Not only can I not figure out what it is but I can't see any relevance to the album either.

Good question; I'm as interested as you to learn the answer.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This was one of the very first band albums I ever heard and was totally taken by Vinter's John O'Gaunt. If I remember correctly, Pye created some original artwork for other covers as well that was eye-catching but with little context to content.

:redface: ... has no-one got a scan to show us yet?

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Here it is, to the best of my poor photographic ability.

Attached Files:

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

After all that, and looking at the cover from different angles etc., it's only a collection of metal plates and tubes with two broad painted lines on the edge of another metal plate with bore holes in it? Artistic/aesthetic reading? :confused:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke
    Golden Guinea
    LPs
    collectors of brass band gramophone records
    old days
  13. JR

JR Member

..something from the textile industry e.g.a loom? that John Foster and Son who sponsored dyke were part of in the 60s?
    is that the album with John O'Gaunt? - great piece, ideal 1st section finals?
    Very idiosyncratic interpretation by Geoffrey Brand as I remember..

john r

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- nothing I see there that would be machine parts, I'm afraid! Brass band = metal, sheets and tubes (and one small circular plate)??? The recording of John O'Gaunt was again released on Vol.1 of 'The Golden Sound' series of Dyke recordings. Will have a listen again! (if only to remind me how Frank Berry sounded on trom.!).

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Nah defo not machine parts, I should know as I spend my days dreaming them up...

At first glance I thought the metallic thing that runs top to bottom was a rail and it was a close up shot of the rail of light railway - you know like they use to shift coal back from the face, or use to move stuff arond in large factories.

Looking at it again though I think that is just a random bit of tube and the rest is a collection of brass sheet with the odd tube thrown in for good measure, so I would side with Brassneck's suggestion of a slightly criptic referance to tubes and brass.