For all you supporters of League 1 football teams.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Nov 28, 2005.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

There must be plenty of you out there...we're now just about half way through the season and my own team (Huddersfield) and Swansea have managed to open a 5 point gap on the rest.

(At long last we look like we may have a team that can realistically challenge for a title! :terrier )

How/where do you see your team ending up? (and who are they)

Who do you think will take the title this year? Who do you think will go down?

And can anyone stop yer man at Swansea Lee Trundell scoring goals?? The man's a scoring machine!!!

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I know Southend have slipped up over the last couple of weeks, but I still think they'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. Started the season looking for some consolidation to avoid going straight back down, but should make a play-off place at least after their good start.

3. Marlon Bando

Marlon Bando New Member

Only one team in Essex, Peter, and thats the mighty Colchester United (the result against Southend in August was a mere hiccup!!). 6 games unbeaten, top of the 'current form' league table, and manager of the month for November for sure! (thats a curse in itself!). Plenty of strength in depth in the squad (unlike Southend!). 23 goals for in the last 5 games! A 9-1 victory in the FA cup, and a 5-0 drubbing of Gillingham on Saturday.

Realistically, a play off place would be fantastic, top 10 is more realistic. Depends on whether we can keep current loanee Jamie Cureton.

Havent seen Huddersfield yet this season, but Swansea seemed a good team. Trundle is a quality player, and took the stick well that we gave him. Not as fat as the tv makes out!!! He was prone to a little bit of cheating though, by distracting the ref at free kicks while his teammates moved the kick a little closer to goal! ;)
    Cant see him being as effective in the championship, but willing to be proved wrong.

4. 2nd man down

Hey Peter...I didn't know you were a Saaaaaafend supporter!? We play you again soon I think...yeah...December 17th at home!! Are you coming up?? I could show you the sights of 'Uddersfield! :biggrin:

5. PeterBale

I'm afraid I only support them from my armchair - although we can hear the roar of the crowd from the ground if the wind's in the right direction!

I'm told the atmosphere around the club is pretty good at the moment, with 17,000 in the crowd for one of the recent home games.

6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Like Crawf i like to jump around down on the 'pharm' encouraging the mighty terriers, who are playing some good footie this season. Apart from a couple of disappointing games and performances against Swindon and Bradford, the standard of footie has been far higher than previous seasons and i would be genuinely disappointed if this season we didnt go up automatically.

However, i still await the usual mid-season dry spell that seems an annual occurance with Huddersfield. I'm afraid Bristol City look doomed at the moment, and hopefully the MK Dons will go down after we trounce them in our next match :biggrin:

With promotion i'd be interested to see how our young squad gets on in the Championship, i especially look forward to next season's away game at Goodison Park ;)

7. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Please all League 1 teams can you please start hammering the MK Mongs, they are an abomination and the sooner they go out of the league the better!

Not that I'm bitter or anything :biggrin:

When are Huddersfield playing them at home?

8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

We play them at home on Saturday 18th February.
    We play them away on Tuesday December 6th.

Come on you terriers, we'll score one (or 3) just for you Roy!

9. Cornishwomble

Ah that's right I remember Crawf telling me it was Feb, I'll be there again spreading my message of love to the Franchise ;)

10. PeterBale

. . . and then Southend can knock them out of the FA cup ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    supporters
    hope
    League 1
    MKFranchise
    drubbing
  12. Cornishwomble

Yes please :tup

13. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

...and Col Utd will knock them out of the LDV! :)

14. Aaron

Aaron Member

I seriously believe that this could be the year for the mighty terriers...we have an excellent young squad which is maturing by the game, and as long as we get through the january transfer window unscathed, i reckon automatic promotion is on the cards, although im not so sure we'll win the league, although that would be fantastic

15. 2nd man down

And when they finally get relegated to oblivion and go out of business then maybe there won't be two clubs claiming to have been called the Crazy gang and having an FA cup win! I couldn't believe when we played the MK Dons last year, their history in our program listed out Wimbledon's history! They're a new club that appeared in Milton Keynes for crying out loud, how the hell could they claim all that?!?!?
    Poor old Roy Taylor nearly choked on his expletives when he read that!!

16. 2nd man down

Anyone support Worcester?? We play them live on BBC1 on sunday!!

17. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

A great result for League One's mighty Donny Rovers, beating Aston Villa 3-0 tonight! :)

18. 2nd man down

Agreed..an absolutely superb result...especially considering their patchy league form. Just shows what a bit of team pride and passion can do.

19. 2nd man down

Woohoo!!!! Chelsea at the Bridge in the next round!!! What a fantastic draw!!!!

:woo :terrier :woo

(Schofield should NEVER have been sent off today, That ref was Worcester fan through and through!) ;) :mad:

20. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

The 1st booking was a bit strange. The ref had told Schofield not to take the free-kick until he was ready, but he did, which I suppose is dissent. But last season, the ref allowed Thierry Henry to take free kick despite the fact he was also sorting the wall out. Henry scored from the shot and caused a blaze of controvosy. It stinks a bit of inconsistancy between referees, but I suppose it's part of the game and players have to adapt their game to that of the man in black (or green or yellow!).

The 2nd booking was harsh. Schofield was off balance, he did make contact with a defender, but he was falling over anyway!

At the end of the day, you still won so you're still in the Cup! ;)

21. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Well done to one and all whose teams are through to the 3rd Round.

May I congratulate West Ham on their bye through to the 4th Round.

And for all you supporters of 1st Division teams I look forward to seeing you at Carrow Road next season.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    supporters
    hope
    League 1
    MKFranchise
    drubbing