Football: When is a goal not a goal?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by dyl, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Now, being a Liverpool supporter, I have a slight bias towards wanting Man Ure to lose, but, in fact, a draw was the best result possible for us tonight. But, come on, even the most die-hard Man ure fans can't argue against the fact that this was a goal, surely? I bet some will try though...................... ;)

Without a doubt, THE most disgraceful refereeing decision I have ever seen!
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Something has to be done now about the awful refereeing decisions or 'non decisions' (as Barry Davies once said) in the Premiership. Had it barely crossed the line, I could have understood, but this highlights a major problem with the officials. Yes, they don't have the benefit of a replay, but that picture says it all...... I'm no Man Utd hater (or Spurs hater for that matter.....) but that is just plainly unacceptable.

Of course, had the goal been given, there's no guarantee that Spurs would have held on to win, of course, just the same as when 'stonewall' penalties are turned down, there's no guarantee that the team denied would have necessarily scored from the spot had the penalty been given, but that really isn't the issue here... Rather than video replays being used, I suggest that referees/assistant referees are imported from other European countries to assist. No they're not all perfect from abroad but they seem to be far better than our lot!
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And... Martin Jol's and Pedro Mendes's reactions, were under the circumstances, highly commendable!
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It's too bad Millions of dollars and avid fans stopped the goalie from telling the ref it was the wrong call. I can't even imagine what would have happened.

I can just see it now.... Mr. Carroll says to Mr. Clattenburg "Excuse me sir, but that was actually a goal, I didn't really stop it...give them the point and lets get a move on."

As ridiculous as that sounds, that's what would happen I imagine with a lot of people if they were playing a friendly game in the park.
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I dare say there will be lots of bile spewed on a number of forums about how Manchester United get all the decisions going their way and try and blame them for it, but it isn't their fault. I'm just staggered that the level of incompetence from the Premiership football officials just grows and grows.....
  6. DublinBass

Oh yeah...almost forgot...

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having seen it on Match of the Day last night, I do have some sympathy with the linesman - running back having been right up with the play, I reckon the striker must have been almost directly between him and the goal.

If ever there was an argument for the use of video footage and the active involvement of the fourth official then surely that was it!
  8. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

We were robbed!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Upset Spurs Fan.......
  9. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Hold on for a minute. OK so we get lucky and the goal isn't given, but I think thats a bit harsh that we get ALL the calls from the refs. It hasn't even been a month when Chelsea's Tiago (i think!) clearly handballs in the box against Liverpool. I'm not saying we never get decisions but its very harsh to say that Man U get all the calls.

Going back to topic, there should be video refs in football.
  10. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I'm gutted about it! I certainly wasn't as restrained as the Spurs players whilst watching it! I think there should be some kind of system installed on the goal line to prevent things such as this from happening.
  11. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I don't think it's jUST Man Utd get all the decisions.
    Did not Liverpool get 2 go their way against Norwich?

It's obvious, the bigger the team, the more they can afford to bribe the ref.

One very unhappy little canary!
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Whilst not being particularly technically-minded, I think there would be great difficulties trying to set up an automatic system to settle such disputes: the stipulation (I believe I'm right) is that the whole of the ball must cross the line, so it's not even a matter of triggering a beam or anything like that, apart from which such a system would be activated every time the keeper himself stepped over the line.

You could, however, set up a camera along the goal line, so that the fourth official could review the footage when an incident occurs: as American Football and Rugby have shown, it doesn't need to hold up the action for long, and would save a lot of post-match arguments.
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I think we should go a stage further still and have cameras that make balls that haven't crossed the line look as if they have.

A Huddersfield Town Fan. :-(

Seriously...spurs were totally robbed and that decision was unbelievable!! Shades of Chesterfield v Midd*****rough in the FA cup semi Final a few years back...can you imagine what difference an FA cup final appearance (that they were robbed of) would have made to a club in Chesterfields position??
    Ok they'd have got drubbed but the money for getting there alone would probably have been more than they were likely to get in the following five seasons!! That decision robbed them of a veritable fortune.

*edit* I have no idea why boro was bleeped!! I can only imagine it's cos the bleeper knows what they're all like up there!!! ;)
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  14. DublinBass

I really don't think Man U gets all the calls...I was just making fun of Dave's statement.

I do however, think there is a correlation between a teams payroll and the number of calls it gets.
  15. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I'm a Spurs fan and I am gutted. However I don't think that video evidence should be used as this would entail a change to the rules and rules must apply to everybody.

Whilst Sky and/or BBC cover all Premier matches with innumerable cameras from all angles what would happen at for example Rochdale on a wet Tuesday in February. Would there be cameras there and if so enough of them to cover all aspects of the game?

The Spurs goal (non-goal) is an obvious example where the ref and his assistant got it wrong so the use of video evidence would award a goal. What if then Manchester United used video evidence to prove that the throw-in taken by Mendes two minutes earlier was a foul throw because he did not have both feet on the ground? The games would be about three hours long with every disputed decision.

I think that the FA have created a dangerous precedent by using video evidence to charge players in incidents missed by the referee. The next stage may be to over-rule goals the day after the match thus every result is provisional until all video evidence is examined.
  16. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

United regularly wrongly get the referee's benefit of the doubt, if it occured just 3 or 4 times a season it could be mistaken as coincidence... However with such aggressive players as Alan Smith, Roy Keane and Wayne Rooney (with his newly adopted big bad rag attitude), Utd are playing harder and fouling more than any other team in the premiership... Also with having Ruud diving all over the place like the ballerina he is, there are an unbelievable amount of unfair advantages won!! Unfortunately the refs know there are too many paying utd fans to get on the wrong side of!! And anything that Fergerson does'nt like, he simply moans and crys to the media aboot, blackenning the name of the ref... Any other manager would be disciplined by the powers that be for this... However it all comes back to money... Fergersons got the bread so the FA just bend over and take whatever he wants to give!!

Video Refs are now a Necessity!!

Bad luck Spurs, for the goal, you deserved the three points!!
  17. 2nd man down

Sandman ladies and gentlemen...sitting on that fence again! ;)
    Spurs were robbed tho!! :x
  18. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Ave it!! May aswell say what I think, since im always right!! ;)
  19. 2nd man down

'Ave it indeed my friend!! :p
  20. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

I agree with Sandman with the point what would happen in Rochdale on a wet Tuesday night......but look at Rugby Union these days (take the Celtic League for example), Cardiff Blues vs. Ospreys, the ref can look for try decisions but how often do you hear the ref asking in open play, "...was that a forward pass then?...." so the 4th match official is only used for tries (i think!). You go to watch Aberavon Quins against Camarthen in a potentially huge match, was it a try? Who knows?

In reaction to those who still think Utd get ALL the calls........cast your eyes back to 1st January 2005, first half at Anfield. Ball comes over.....whack on Tiago's arm.. ref Mike Riley doesn't give it. I'm not saying Liverpool would have won that game but they should have been awarded a penalty.