Football Play-Offs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, May 8, 2007.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

The football play-off time is with us again, but why do we need it?

Premiership is decided 1st/2nd/3rd taken on points total and Three go down, again on points. The we come to the Championship, Two go up but they have a play-off to find a third to join them, why? if the Premiership is decided on points then all the other clubs below them should atomatically should be first,second and third. I think it unjust that any team that plays 46 games and finishes third in the table should have to go into a play-off to go up to the next level.

Example: Sunderland 88 up
    Birmingham 86 up
    Derby 84
    West Brom 76
    Wolves 76
    Southampton 75

Derby should go up by right on the points, now they have to play again and if on a bad day they could lose to Southampton. I do not support any team, they are overpaid, one team is forking out £57 m a year.

If a team,band,person collects more points than you, they on the day are better than you, so why play them again?

Just my thoughts. Someone might explain it to me.
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

It's all to do with money!!! I agree with you and I think that you would find most football fans do. Finish 3rd, you should be promoted, simple as.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I used to like the idea of the team from the higher division which escaped automatic relegation having to play off against the one from the lower division which fell short of automatic promotion. It gave them one more lifeline, and seemed to add an extra spice to the event.
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

There was an interesting suggestion on Talksport this week for this: 6th should play 5th, the winner to play4th, the winner of that to play 3rd thus effectively putting Derby automatically into the playoff final.
    Having been 2 two playoffs, they do have add an interesting end to the season for those involved although I can fully understand that a team with 8 points difference would feel aggrieved.
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I thnk that's how bowling tournaments work here in the States (at least from what I've seen on the telly).

If money needs to be made from extra games, how cool would it be to see this...keep in mind the higher seed ALWAYS gets home field advantage.

Top two Coca Cola Champions League (that's still what it's called right?) teams get through

Round 1
    CCCL 6 vs. 5
    EPL 14 vs. 15

Round 2
    CCCL 4 vs. 6/5 winner
    EPL 14/15 loser vs. EPL 16

Round 3
    CCCL 4/65 winner v. 3
    EPL 1415/16 loser vs EPL 17

Round 4

CCCL playoff winner v. EPL loser
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Having been to the Raith Rovers against Stirling Albion tie in the Scottish league playoffs at the weekend I can report that it was an exciting game. However, with Stirling having finished 7 points clear of the third placed team, and at one stage they were 12 clear, I can see why many clubs don't like playoffs. I tend to agree. Your league position should be decided on merit over the season and not by two matches at the end of a long hard season.