Football. A change of tune from the House of Payn...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Much as I've been sticking up for football coverage and the like on these boards, I'm a little bit narked now. (Well, only a little bit. I don't 'nark' easy....;-)) I wonder; of the bands represented on here who rehearse on a Monday night, how many have had to cancel their rehearsal this evening due to the football? Allow me to explain...

Despite the fact I have now officially stepped down as MD of Croydon Band, as agreed, I said that until they find a permanent replacement, I'll take any rehearsals/jobs I'm available for. Knowing that the England match takes place at 7.45 this evening, and yes, wanting to watch it as well, I said nevertheless, that I would be available for tonight's rehearsal. In true Question of Sport style, I invite you to work out 'What happened next'.... Grrrrr! :twisted:

(p.s. If there's any Croydon committee reading this, I ain't blaming you! Maybe I'm just a sad old BOC)
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We shall be going ahead with our rehearsal on Thursday regardless of whether England are in action, with "advice" from the BM to set our video recorders if necessary - having said that, we may have cancelled if we didn't have a bandstand, march and church concert on Saturday :shock: :wink: :lol:
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

We will have band rehearsal as usual on Thursday too - and I'm gutted I won't be able to see the Portugal vs Croatia match! ;)
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Funny thing is I remember the night England played Germany in the 1990 World Cup semi final. The match was played on a Wednesday, and I was playing with Crystal Palace Band then, who rehearse on a Wednesday. Rehearsal went ahead and I believe it was a full attendance too! (And England went out of THAT one on penalties too!)
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Don't worry Dave, no penalties this year... they don't come in till the knockout stages... :wink:
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

:lol: :lol: You won't find me disagreeing! If England get through tonight it'll be a bonus as far as I'm concerned. I just hope that if England do, as I suspect, get knocked out tonight, we Croydon residents won't be subjected again to the pondlife that caused a riot there after the France game!
  7. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i'll still be goin to band, i'd much rather be there than cheering at a tv at some sweaty men running round a field kicking a bit of leather.
    whether everyone else in the band will have the same idea is another matter...

why can't they just tape it?!!?!
  8. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i shall be at band also, dont like football, even though i do understand the offside rule :shock:
  9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

:shock: 8) :oops: :wink:
  10. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

control urself BMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

oh dear, she gets like this at rehersals, with a certain bass player!! :p

lol, only kidding!
  12. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

lol, possibly too much info!!!!!

(which bass player? :p :wink: )
  13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

No chance of the rehearsal being cancelled - we've a Scotsman in charge!
  14. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

sorry i have lied, i will be at work and not at im just as naughty myself!!
  15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Why do think I'm out of control? He hasn't been there for 2 weeks....
    BMB :wink:
  16. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  17. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Ours was cancelled! Probably in the intrest of keeping the basses sweet... they're not the most abundant species up ere! I wasn't complaining too much though!
  18. That and a small matter of a job on Sunday! Now if I can only find that copy of the Portuguese national anthem, the programme will be complete (not that I wont be supporting England as it has been clearly pointed out on this august forum that that is indeed my duty as an England dweller and I wouldn't wish to encourage cross border rivalry to rear its ugly head once more :lol: )
  19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Could you say that again, but this time in a more English accent? Ta.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: