Foods that are less than the sum of their parts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MoominDave, Feb 16, 2011.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

So next time I see a wedge of oak-smoked brie, I know to instead buy separate wedges of ordinary brie and Applewood smoked. It was nice, but I preferred the original unmodified flavour. I get the same way about houmous - flavoured can be nice, but it never improves on the original if done well.

What other 'improved' foods have you tried that you feel shouldn't have been 'improved'?

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

'Infusions' Sushi. That rainbow-coloured stuff that Asda sell that's been filled with beetroot and things to make all pretty and colourful and westernised. (And make it taste horrible.)

Sushi should be Rice, Seaweed, Vegetables and/or fish. The end. (OK, and then some Soy sauce and Wasabi to taste.)

Like so much, the beauty is in the simplicity.

3. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

So the oak smoked brie wasn't so good? Have to say it does sound a bit odd.....

Regarding unmodified foods..... why the hell have Fruit and Nut when you can have good old Dairy Milk? Why pollute good chocolate with shrivelled up grapes (ok the nuts I can take, just)?

4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Pork and pickle pies - I can put a dollop of my own pickle on the plate thank you

Meat and Potato Pie - I'm already having chips with it, I don't need potato on the inside too.

5. MoominDave

It was perfectly pleasant. I mean, I did eat the whole wedge in one sitting... But it took two genius concepts and made one quite nice one out of the combination. Not really worthwhile.

Completely! They serve pie portions at lunch at work sometimes, and those that include potato are always a nuisance - you either add chips/potatoes and get too much carbohydrate or don't add them and get not enough. Or you add just a few to make the right amount and get charged for a full portion. It only makes sense if you're buying a pie to eat on its own.

6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Wensleydale with Cranberries / Redcurrants in. Why take a fine bit of cheese and spoil it thus ?

7. MoominDave

You hear that, Di? ;-) Good cheese with bits in is an abomination - somebody else thinks so too!

8. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

pepsi, my favourite cola. Yet whats the point of pepsi max? Then there is Diet Pepsi with Pepsi zero. Its all a marketing ploy to make you buy it because it is new. Please leave my pepsi alone. Pesi full fat or diet pepsi if you prefer

9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

So I don't get any out when Kim and Phil come over..... unless Kim likes it too. I don't particularly like the fruity stuff but I do like the cheddar with chutney or pickled onions in. And the mexicana with chilli. Especially in a toastie a la george foreman. I just like what I like, which should be a good thing to you Dave? ;)

Ah but Stella these are what is known as gender marketing. Pepsi max is fat coke aimed at males and "real men" don't wanna be seen to be "dieting" so pepsi zero is the equivalent for them.... note the darker coloured "Sportier" labelling..... its just a clever marketing ploy aimed to butch up a soft drink so boys don't feel less macho for wanting a bottle of fizzy pop. The reason it doesn't make sense to us ladies is it isn't supposed to.....

10. Could I throw white stilton, both with and without bits, into the mix here. Strictly I suppose this is an unmodified version of its far superior blue counterpart, and so is really a food that should always be "improved", but it's still disgusting.

I couldn't agree more, although in defence of the meat and potato pie they are lovely with mushy peas.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    sum
    parts
  12. on_castors

on_castors Member

Simple, it isn't the original, Stilton was originally a blue cheese, "White Stilton" is just the unfinished item sold as a contrivance, in the same way as all these other contrived cheeses. (Why don't they go further and just sell it as a bottle of milk!)

I have to admit "white stilton" is prety applling though - bear in mind there are dozens of crumbly white cheeses which are fantastic, so how it tastes so lousy is a mystery to me! Only Derby cheese comes anywhere close to it's tastelessness and insignificance.

"Added value" is what all this messing around is called, and it's intended to make money for retailers by selling something ordinary and pretending it is special, usually best avoided by consumers.

13. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Ketchup with added chilli/garlic/sweet onion etc

Sausages with various daft editions

Balti pie

Fish in sauce

Chilli in cheese (I like the combination of chilli peppers with cheese, but not all mixed together)

14. SaddLad

SaddLad New Member

Couldn't agree more on the pork and pickle pies - what a nonsense. Normally avoid cheese with bits in as a total aberration as well but must make an exception for the Wensleydale with ginger i found in our local Morrisons before Christmas. Sadly it seems to have been a limited edition because I haven't seen it since and the highly knowledgable cheesemonger behind the counter had no idea what i was talking about when i enquired whether they would be getting any more. But if you see any try it - it opened my mind to the possibilty that such interfering with perfectly good products does on very rare occasions work.
    Hungry now!

15. worzel

worzel Member

Garlic stuffed olives. Two delicious ingredients fused into puke.

16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Coke with Lemon and Coke with Lime. They were/are absolutely dreadful.

I mean who thought "I know what Coke needs... More acid!!"

Although I do leave out of that Cherry Coke, and the short-lived Vanilla Coke, both of which work(ed) prety well....

17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Ha ha ha - I just got from tescos with a whole tub of them which I am enjoying right now!!

I don't mind cheese with bits in, but its not worth the moaning from Phil when I buy it at the supermarket ;)

'Why spoil a good bit of cheese.... etc, etc etc....'

18. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

forgot about them, absolutley horrible. Whilst on subject of drinks never quite understood, guiness extra cold. My fella prefers the normal one. Carling extra cold - no difference only its more expensive.

Food - what about branston smooth no no no :eek: its got to be the normal chunky branston pickle!

19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Oh, but orange or mint in Chocolate. BIG NO. Think I have had a discussion about this before somewhere on here......

20. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

A slice of orange in Coke is very complimentary though, try it some time. Probably not at the areas though......

21. MoominDave

Ha yes - and peanut butter the same.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    sum
    parts