Food or Foods?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Apr 5, 2007.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

"American foods are different to Korean foods"

This was one of the sentences the children had to complete for Grammer this morning.

Is "Foods" a word?! It caused a lengthly discussion! Food can be plural so does it need an s?
  2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Certainly food for thought there... hmmmmm
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I would say American Food is different to Korean food. Usually Korean food comes in much smaller portions!
  4. David Mann

David Mann Member

I think foods is OK as a plural for several varieties of food. Bit like seeing "fine ales" outside a pub ie more than one type of ale on offer. There, from serious answer to beer in one easy step!
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

And that David is because as well know, Beer is the answer to everything!

I think the original statement re: food was more generic. You do not have foods on your plate, but there is usually more than one type of food on it.

You also say lets go eat Indian food, not foods etc...
  6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Hope they don't have you for spelling as well as grammar :wink:
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having had a quick look around, it appears that both terms are used, with "foods" usually denoting different types of food, often where there are various options.
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

PB has spoken!

It is also IMHO possible to talk about different foods, like baby foods (of which there are several) and different categories of food are foods, like meat, veg, fish, pultry etc and also the cuisines of different countries might be classed as foods?

Move over in the trough of knowledge. I'd like my share:)
  9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I'd hate to see how big American portions are then :eek:
    As to the grammar bit I haven't got a clue Microsoft Word is always putting green squiggly lines under my sentences.
  10. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Microsoft Word does that with me too. I just assume they are there for decoration!
  11. mikelyons

Even if you set it to English grammar and spelling, Microsoft Word doesn't know squat!

I have checked some of its suggested corrections with the English department at school and they have broken down into hysterical laughter. When I sobered them up they pointed out several errors and pointed me in the direction of some esoteric books on English grammar.

Fat lot of help!

However, the kids are trusting it!:eek:
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Word is rubbish at grammar! It completely fails to pick up the differences between there, their and they're for instance (one of my bugbears!). It just proves you can't beat a good English teacher!
  13. mikelyons

Actually, one of our former heads of English liked to be tied up and beaten at weekends ;) So you are wrong there, Ian!