Food Glorious Food!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rob Palmer, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer Member

If this thread has appeared before, please forgive me, but I would like to raise a subject close to my heart FOOD!

What types of food do people like to eat or avoid before playing? This can apply to drinks as well.

Personally I try to avoid salad, cucumber especially!

What brought this up…(pardon the pun) was that on my way to practice the other night I ate an Extra Strong Mint & had a really bad night. (No change there is the scream from Highley) Not sure if this was a one off but I will avoid the mints in future.

But what do other people think?

Are there foods/drinks to avoid?

2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

ANything that makes you hyper I have practically no concentration without being hyper aswell :p

3. Aaron

Aaron Member

well the most obvious one has to be crisps..clogs your instrument to buggery & can also get lodged in throat, which isnt ideal on the contest platform!!

Also biscuits...as tempting as it is to eat them during the half time interval & dunk in yout brew at an old folks concert!

Drinks wise, i find it best to stick to the pure stuff, prior to & whilst on stage cos you never know when you might need to wet those lips, & drinks to avoid, well it has to be beer
    I once made the mistake of drinking mucho beer after we'd played early on at holmfirth contest...only to be reminded 8 pints later that we had to march down the street for a deportment prize, dont think we won it that year :0)

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

If we have a late draw then i have a Mars or something like that.
    But if its a early draw i do not even think about,until we have played.
    Drink wise NO BOOZE AT ALL only BLACK COFFEE but after 2/3 pints,but if band are in prizes DRINK THE PUB DRY:biggrin:

5. persins

persins Member

I always find that Beer is a necessity when playing!!!!

Normally after but on occasions the only way to get through it is to have a few beforehand, a couple during and many more after!!!!!

I have to avoid some vegetables (Brocolli and Cauliflower in particular) before practices now because the rest of the cornet section nearly choked when breathing in!!!!!

6. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I prefer not to eat around a couple of hours before playing ... although this is sometimes limited to around an hour (don't play on an empty stomach though!).

I've found I never play well after some alcoholic concoction, and personally I prefer to stick to water.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's all about common sense really! The contesting day can be long and sticking to what you would normally eat and drink (... no alcohol!) shouldn't disrupt your playing too much, if at all! Adrenalin rushes on the day can, however, create a change in eating habits but try and use some discipline to compensate (or try to relax). Problems I have seen in some players is when they have to get up really early in the morning with no time to organise breakfast for themselves. Hot meals can be prepared the evening before and a quick heat in the microwave the next morning can help avoid a lot of stress for the day in question!