Folkstone Contest

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Oct 10, 2003.

1. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Anyone any idea how many bands are in each section at the Folkstone Contest this weekend?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Folkstone Contest
    section
    bands
    idea
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Folkestone

No info on the SCABA website but they have contact numbers. I'm sure if you gave one of them a ring, they'd be able to tell you. I know I've got my work cut out already. Conducting one band and playing percussion in another (on an allowable day transfer) both in the same section!

Trouble is, I'm a cornet player..... :?

Dave

4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There's usually 8 ish in each section but you don't normally find out until the day! Not sure if theres any pot hunters (did I say that? I meant guest bands :lol: ) coming from Europe or Yorkshire this year - usually makes the Championsdhip section a bit more interesting.
    If you want to find out today., Ian Carter (SCABA sec.) is pretty approachable.

5. Bones

Bones Member

Naughty, naughty, could that quote be applied to us. We enjoyed the contest last year. Well run, nice venue, but a dreadful rainy day, then we had to go and do a concert in Dover town hall. Finished the job, set off, bus slowed down on the M1 for the first drop off (me thankfully) at Nottingham, and the bus's gearbox blew up. I got home at 3 in the morning, the rest of the band got in at 6am.

We won;t be attending this year, Pontins, Butlines, Spenny all in the year end calendar. Best of luck to all competing bands.

6. Accidental

Not just you!! SCABA seem to go out of their way to attract "visitors" to our contests, especially from the continent, and those bands often make it clear they think its easy pickings. Lets be honest, we all know the standard down south isn't so good, but it is frustrating for a local bands as sometimes it feels like they don't have a chance! :(

And its not sour grapes - haven't been in the top section until this year, and my bands not going this w/end anyway. I guess the gripe is with the contest organisers.

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Ian Carter (Secretary) plays at my band.

I'll see if I can get any information.

Can't promise anything though.

Ben!

8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I thibnk this has more to do with Folkestone being nearer to the continent than any other contest - the Belgians would already be home from this one whilst the brit bands were still stuck coming back from Dundee!

9. andywooler

10. Ray Woods

Ray Woods Member

Mid Sussex Brass Band success at Folkstone

Congratulations are in order to Andy Wooler (above) for taking Mid Sussex Brass Band to Folkstone and gaining a well deserved, cup winning 3rd place (out of 12 playing) in the 3rd section (where we are categorised). Also for having the courage to enter us in the Section above (2nd), where we didn't do so well in the test piece, but came a creditable 5th (out of 11) in the Hymn tune.

Well done Andy and the band.

Ray

11. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

The comment previously about bands from outside the area taking part as the contest is deemed ''easy pickings'' is an interesting one, to survive the contest needs to attract as many bands as possible surely? however another issue is that those bands taking part play in the correct section.

To my mind every contest should use the national gradings to determine which section bands enter. the use of ''local gradings'' only leads to confusion and should only apply to those bands who choose not to compete in the national championships.

Ian

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Folkstone Contest
    section
    bands
    idea
  13. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I think the main attraction for bands entering SCABA contests is the fact that they are extemely well run, having recently moved back to the Westcountry the difference is marked!
    When Boosey`s next sack the organisers of the Nationals, they could do a lot worse and try to tempt John Pickett out of retirement and run it for them, the man`s quiet and friendly efficiency is much needed.
    Ian Heard.
    Soundhouse Brass
    and formerly of Crystal Palace Band.

14. andywooler

Well said Ian - I had the pleasure of serving on the SCABA Executive a few years ago and would agree with those who acknowledgede SCABA as being the most forward thinking band association around with an excellent team running it. The popularity of the Folkestone Contest is testament to that.
    John Pickett was a hard act to follow but Ian Carter has stepped up to the challenge to maintain the momentum.

15. Accidental

Thank you! You not only got the point I was trying to make, you explained it better too!!

As I said in my first post it makes the top section more interesting, and I meant that as a GOOD thing.

I'm not saying we shouldn't open the contests up, my concern (and that of many others judging on the rumblings in the bar !!!) at these contests, is that the visitors tend to outclass the local bands and guarantee that a SCABA member band isn't going to win - not exactly encouraging. I've heard conversations about bands pondering the point of even entering the contests in this situation. I wholeheartedly agree with everyone's comments about survival, and SCABA'a excellent organisation, but surely if an associations own bands are thinking twice about supporting their own contests then there is something wrong?

Oh, and the only reason my band didn't enter this year is timing after Dundee, nothing to do with the visitors issue.... so there's no sour grapes here, just a concern. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now! :bounce

16. andywooler

Some stats from the Scaba website regarding overseas bands (Championship section) at Fokestone contest

Since 1996, a number of overseas bands, predominantly Belgian, have attended this contest as follows:

1996 - 1st 3 places were Scaba members, the visitors came 4th
    1997 - The winner was local, the visitors came 2nd
    1998 - as above
    1999 - Visitors came 1st & 3rd
    2000 - Visitors won
    2001 - Visitors came second
    2002 - Visitors came 5th

Therefore, in 5 out of 7 yrs, this contest was won by a UK band
    in 4 out of 7 cases, this band was local to SCABA
    on just 2 occassions in the 7 yrs was the contest won by a non UK based band.

Another stat which a lot of contests would envy is the total entries this year:

12 third section bands played, 13 entered
    4 Youth bands
    11 second section
    14 First section scheduled to play today
    8 Championship section scheduled to play today

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

18. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

19. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

20. PeterBale