Foden's coming to Scotland

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by BigD, Mar 22, 2008.

1. BigD

BigD Member

That's ok, I know how you feel. I'm often just finishing my practice sessions then!

2. BigD

BigD Member

Nearly half the tickets away for this concert already. We won't be able to send any out over the next few weeks (school holidays) but they can still be bought on www.TheBooth.co.uk during this time.

Don't miss out - should be a great concert!

3. BigD

BigD Member

Back in the country now, so if anyone would like to order tickets, get in touch. They can also be bought online at www.TheBooth.co.uk

4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

How often do bands like Fodens come to Scotland?

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

We usually get about two a year. Dyke have been to Perth twice and Grimey and YBS are also recent visitors.

6. BigD

BigD Member

Anyone know the last time Fodens were up?

7. Razor

Razor Member

Govan SA Band had them up for a concert around 1999/2000 I think, when Nick Childs was MD.

Can't recall them being up any time since.

8. BigD

BigD Member

9. BigD

BigD Member

The band will also be giving a series of masterclasses in the afternoon (2.30pm) to which anyone interested is welcome to come. (Free entry)

I also received the programme today and it looks like it will be a fantastic concert!

10. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Any clues David????

11. BigD

BigD Member

You might know one of them Paul!!!

I'll post tonight as I've left it at work.

From memory though, Kingdom Triumphant. Widor's Toccatta, The Little Russian, Flugel, Euph, Bass, and Perc Solos, and plenty of lighter stuff too.

12. BigD

BigD Member

Programme is:

On The Quarter Deck - Alford
    French Military March - Saint-Saens arr Hargreaves
    Very Thought of You (Flug Solo - Helen Williams)Noble arr Broadbent
    Hora Staccato - Dinicu/Hefetz arr Richards
    Just as I am - Heaton
    Ol' Man River - Tern arr Freeh
    Zigeunerwisen (EEB Bass Solo - Les Neish) - Sarasale arr Dury
    Kingdom Triumphant - Ball

Toccata from organ Symphony No5 - Widor arr Sparke
    Songs of the Morning - Ball
    New Grandfathers Clock (Euph Solo - Glyn Williams) Trad arr Fernie
    Cossack Dance - Tchaikovsky arr Snell
    Comedy Tonight - arr Sandy Smith
    Crimond - arr Graham
    Flying Mallets (Xylophone Solo - Mark Landon)- Reikes
    Excerpts from Little Russian - Tchaikovsky arr Gordon

Looks like it's going to be a really good concert with something for most tastes. Can't wait!

Tickets available from www.thebooth.co.uk or by calling 0131 271 3756 (Daytime)

13. BigD

BigD Member

We still have some places for people (of ANY age) to take part in the afternoon masterclasses for this event.(2.30pm start) If any bands have players who want to take part or just come to listen it's free of charge either way! There are sessions still available for Cornets, Horns, Euph's / Bari's, Trombones, Basses and Percussion.
    If you are interested you can contact me at David.McLeod@Midlothian.gov.uk

Still time to get tickets as well!

14. BigD

BigD Member

Well done to Glyn and the band for a great result. Can't wait until Saturday now!

15. BigD

BigD Member

Unfortunately, due to circumstances outwith our (and Foden's!) control we've had to cancel the Percussion workshops, although the rest will still happen. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes anyone!

The concert remains the same though and there is still time to get your tickets at www.thebooth.co.uk or at the door if you are early!

16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Well done Dave! Cracking concert! Made him indoors want to practice ferociously and made me want to take up guitar! Hall was boiling so sitting in the back made for great view but man was it warm up there. Take it that place was built on the same principles as the hospital.... we need to cut corners so first thing to go..... air conditioning!;)

17. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

We enjoyed the concert too. Never made Mrs. Drury think about practising right enough but no surprises there.........................

Well done Mr. McLeod. It was a great effort and I think everyone enjoyed the concert. I for one did. Spent Sunday with Glyn and Helen Williams at the Borders youth brass workshop and they seemed to feel that the concert was a great success with a very appreciative audience.

18. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Diane, the hall wasn't hot - you must be suffering some sort of change. Maybe an age thing?????

19. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

:eek: How rude!! There's a phrase coming to mind..... something along the lines of pot.......kettle....... and "you're black"! Am sure I've got a few years until I get to your age? ;)

20. BigD

BigD Member

Hi Di,

There is air conditioning in the hall but it was blowing the music off the stands during the workshops and is VERY noisy as well. As for your age......................NO COMMENT!

Lots of nice comments about the whole day so I'm sure we'll try to repeat it. As mentioned somewhere else, when YBS came up to Innerleithen the week after The Open they came as champions, and now Foden's too. We have a 100% success rate so if there's anyone from another top band reading this we are open to offers!