Fodens Bass Section

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubaplayer, Jun 6, 2005.

1. tubaplayer

tubaplayer Member

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening at the band. I have heard that there might be some changes in this department. Is it true???

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fodens Bass Section
    changes
    department
    light
    band
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Yes it is... as for what they are, I don't really know.

4. The Rag

The Rag New Member

nothing up on the 4BR rumour mill. So who do people think is coming in and for whom

5. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I know too.

2 excellent players have left, amicably, after years of service and 100000's of miles, and 2 excellent players have signed.

Nothing too cloak and dagger I don't think.

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it's a very big secret, because some of the rumours have already reached the other side of the English Channel...

;)

8. tubaplayer

tubaplayer Member

Thankyou for the messages. Is it all done and dusted then?? I am just interested in who these people are!!!

9. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

After a combined service to the band of getting on for twenty five years. Phil and I have decided that the time has come to hang up our Tuba's and to put them away where they cant do anymore damage!!! This was by no means a decision that we took lightly we had been making the relevant murmurings for over a year. Personally work and family commitments had got so great that I hadn’t been able to practice the instrument I love for the best part of five years and I wanted to leave with a certain amount of integrity intact. Like I said in my parting speech to the band at Cambridge I fell very honoured to have been involved with such a fantastic musical outfit and 18 years ago in my band room in the middle of Cumbria I wouldn’t of dreamed that I may of had the chance to win all the major contests in British Banding and have the chance to work with some fantastic conductors like Howard Snell,Bramwell Tovey, Gary Cutt and many others. I’ve also been very lucky to have played with some of the finest Bass players in the country like Phil Green, Brett Wharton, Dean Morley, Loz Barton, John Davis and Ken Ferguson, a musical education that not even four years at a music college could provide me. As to our replacements the band has been very fortunate in acquiring the services of two very fine up and coming Tuba players which I’m sure will take the band onto new and great things.Phil and myself intend to keep very close connections with the band on the playing front and I also hope to stay and help the band with the regular education work they do. We also fully intend to turn up to contests with our short scores and while in and around the players to be heard saying things like “It was much better in our day” and “Bands just cant play proper tunes any more”!!!!! Thanks to all at fodens and good luck in the future. Toby.

10. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Having had the pleasure of sitting next to both Toby and Phil on the odd occasion, I'd like to wish them both the best of luck for their retirements (however long they may last!). Both cracking players that have served their band well. Takes a lot to play at a band like that for that long.

11. wilky

wilky Member

An official press release will follow in due course concerning Toby Hobson and Phil Greens departure as well as announcing their replacements.

until then we will leave you all guessing !!!!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fodens Bass Section
    changes
    department
    light
    band
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... maybe a hint? anyone associated with the band before? someone new? :cool:

14. wilky

wilky Member

no hint im afraid ! the reason there has not been an official press release yet is due to waiting for players to inform their respective bands.

both new signings are excellent players and will be major additions to the band.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

2 EEb players then? And nobody from the 'merry-go-round'?

16. wilky

wilky Member

all will be revealed shortly

17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I didn't get to know Toby too well, but I am sad to see Phil hanging it up. He has been one of my role models and given me something to aspire to. I also have appreciated his contributions on tMP very much and hope the he still stays in the mix a bit...even if he is not playing.

18. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

Having sat in the Fodens bass section as a guest on several occasions I would like to endorse all the complimentary comments for Toby and Phil. It is a shame that they are both hanging up their mouthpieces,but as someone who also had to travel thousands of miles for band I can appreciate the difficult decision they've made. As far as their playing is concerned their contest records and past performances speak for themselves. Phil Green has been (and still is) an inspiration to many EEb bass players,myself included. Some players have good technique,some have a good sound,some display fantastic ensemble skills whilst others shine in solo passages. Not many players have all of these qualities but I know,through sitting next to and listening to,that Phil has all of them. Toby has been "the rock" of the Fodens bass team for years. As a tutti player there can be few better. On the occasions that I've sat next to him what impressed me most is his ability to adapt to what the other player is doing,especially with regards to breathing. He's also not shy of following the BBb's down to the bottom register either!
    There are a lot of good of bass players about,and some are very good. But few are great players. As far as I'm concerned Toby and Phil are great players.

All the best lads

Gavin Saynor

19. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

thanks Gav and Chris.there very kind words and ill look forward to seeing you both at very regular intervals no doubt.Take care speak soon. Toby