Flying with a mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Peach, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Peach

Peach Member

Anyone here have experience taking just a mouthpiece on a plane?

I'm going to NYC and might take a tuba mouthpiece as I'll be visiting a big brass shop with lots of tubas to play (Dillons).

If it's going to be a pain to take mine I'm sure I can use something in the shop.

Will the airline likely think my mouthpiece is a small bomb/grenade/WMD?

2. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I've taken my horn on as hand luggage before, inc. Mouthpiece,valve oil, slide grease etc. Shouldn't be a problem
  3. euph77

euph77 Member

I've taken my euph m/piece on internal flights with no problem (though I can't remember whether it was in hand luggage or not).
  4. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Similarly I recently took my horn, including mouthpiece and other bits and pieces, as hand luggage all the way to New Zealand. The journey included multiple planes, both domestic and international flights, across the world. I exeprienced no problems at all so I can't imagine you'll have any issues. All I would say is be prepared to explain things if it is picked up as 'suspicious'!
  5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

have taken mine internationaly in the past and had no problem. I kept it in hand baggage, to important to lose.
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Never had a problem even taking a bag of mouthpieces in hand luggage
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd certainly keep it in your hand luggage, then you can explain what it is if necessary. When we travelled to Belfast recently one of our flautists and a clarinetist had their instruments exemined very thoroughly to ensure they weren't being packed full of drugs etc, so it seems rather hit and miss!
  8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure it was Eric Ball who once said that "A brass instrument in the hands of a fool is a fearful weapon" so WMD might not be too far off the mark (I'm not commenting on your ability as a player Peach!) :) Enjoy New York; it's a fabulous city and, although I've never been to Dillons, I have bought from them and they are great to deal with.
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I once had to explain in broken Italian what my bass mouthpiece was doing in my hand luggage on a return flight from Rome! Per la trompeta seemed to do it (along with a mime!)
  10. T Winch

T Winch Member

I had similar experience at Geneva airport earlier this year. I had my mouthpiece tucked inside a ski boot and it must have been picked up by the x-ray machine. I could see the customs people whispering to each other and looking in my direction and sure enough I was pulled aside. "Pour le trompet" did the trick for me :)
  11. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I've taken a cornet mouthpiece on flights to Europe and the USA before without even being questioned on it. They didn't even blink twice when I took my cornet on as H/L when flying to Dublin. However, they were less impressed with the valve oil in my gig bag on a flight from Newquay to Leeds....duh!

I'd say you'd be fine. Like other people have said - it's too precious to lose, and therefore I wouldn''t even consider putting it in checked luggage!
  12. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

I've flown all over the world in the last few years, averaging well over 100,000 miles each year - no issues with taking my mouthpiece.
    One piece of advice though - take it out of your bag and put it separately in the tray with your laptop / phone etc. as it saves it showing up on the x-ray and requiring a bag search.
  13. Peach

Peach Member

I'll be taking one as carry-on...
    Thanks for the replies.
  14. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

took several flights around Europe with my brother who had his trumpet in hand luggage with no problem except for the flight from Rome to Cagliari. At check-in his hand luggage was taken for further examination and he was taken by off a uniformed man. After about 10 mins we were all serenaded to the trumpet solo from string of pearls - he re-appeared about 2 minutes later trumpet back in hand luggage. They just wanted to know it was a real trumpet.
  15. Euphemistic

Euphemistic New Member

Provided you can get a decent tune out of it to prove what it is - shouldn't be a problem - I once had to do this in Poland with my Euph mpc. Suggest you practice the Stars and Stripes!

Seriously - I have taken my MPC all over the World (many times to US) - only ever been asked once (in Poland)
  16. startingsop

startingsop New Member

I flew Ryanair to Poland and back from Bratislava with my sop in my backpack this summer. I got some surprised looks from the xray machine operators, but mostly smiles. I think so long as i didn't actually start practising in the plane they were fine with it (although I did have my practice mute so perhaps I could have tried....).