Flying to America with Tenor 'Orn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by PFmaestro, Oct 27, 2011.

1. PFmaestro

PFmaestro New Member

Hi Guys,

Im off to Richmond, VA at Christmas to take part in the SA kettle season the two weeks before Christmas flying back Christmas Eve.

What i need to know is whether anyone has taken there Tenor Horn on as Hand luggage as i am not keen on putting it on in the hold as you can imagine! I can live without a change of clothes but with the reason of going is to play i dont think that would work without an instrument!

Any advice on the best cases to use or ways to trick the staff into letting it on would be cool! Im flying with Delta Airlines by the way.

2. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

A couple of years ago our band flew to LA and the cornets and horns took our instruments as hand luggage to lower costs. I used a gig bag and had no problems getting it in the overhead storage. Just check as to how many pieces of hand-luggage you can take as if it's only one you will need to fit your other things in with the horn!
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I've taken a horn as hand luggage a couple of times.... its amazing how much you can stuff down the bell and into the corners of a gig bag to save on suitcase space!!!
    It depends how strict the airlines are on size/dimensions for cabin baggage - double-check with them before the day, just in case.
  4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I agree with the suggestion to double check with your airline. We now live in an age where security trumps just about everything, often including common sense. Also remember the carry on restrictions re gels and liquids (valve oil!!). Enjoy your visit to Richmond, it's a nice place with some interesting history.
  5. nethers

nethers Active Member

6. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

When we visited Jersey last year; flying with easyjet, all our instruments Horn or smaller went on as Hand luggage.
  7. Owen

Owen Member

I have travelled with my baritone in a gig bag to the States on a number of occasions and in general there is no problem getting it into the overhead compartments, although you might want to try and be an early boarder to ensure that you can get some space.

Where there is sometimes an issue is if you are making an internal flight to get to your final destination. In my experience, the planes used are pretty small (often 2 + 1 seating on each row), but you will find that generally you will be able to drop off your horn at the door to the plane, and pick it up again as you "de-plane" at your destination, thus avoiding the worst of the baggage handling process.

A final thought is that the rules of the airports you travel through will over-ride the airline. Leeds-Bradford previously had a policy of only allowing one item of hand luggage, even though BMI policy was to allow musical instruments to be carried in addition to a single item of baggage.
  8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

What type of case do you have? Are you meaning a hard case? This should fit into most overhead compartments easily, but some airlines (most likely not Delta though) will sometimes try and charge you extra if they realise it is a musical instrument.
    Personally I have ALWAYS taken my horn on as hand luggage. I just wouldn't risk it with the baggage handlers. I used to have a GiG softbag which fitted into all of the overhead compartments on many different planes/airlines all except one very small plane. I currently use a Fusion triple trumpet softbag which fits nicely into every single plane I've been on with it so far.
  9. sale

sale Member

hello, i work at Manchester airport in Hold baggage security, We get alot of instruments coming through and they are dealt with as fragile items and sent via a different route. The idea of baggage handlers throwing and kicking stuff really is over talked about and its not as bad as you think. Black Dyke, Grimethorpe and Faireys have all been through and have put their instruments in the hold. At the end of the day like people are saying check with the airlines about taking it on as hand luggage but be prepared for them to rape your wallet because thats where they make their money. You also have the option of taking your instrument to the gate with you and they will take it off you there and take it down to the plane for you saving the journey and possible damage to the horn, again check with the airline. Have a good trip :)
  10. sale

sale Member

OH,,,, but use a hard case!!!! lol
  11. fsteers

fsteers Member

That may be the case at Manchester airport, but I can guarantee it's NOT the case at Dulles International, Baltimore-Washington International, or Richmond International airport (the three closest int'l airports)--or any of the dozen or so other major US airport I fly into or out of on a regular basis, for that matter.

And don't forget that on this side of the pond, all baggage, both checked and carry-on, on the return flight will be inspected by TSA ([SUB]Thieving Stinking Assholes[/SUB] Transportation Safety Administration) employees before it's loaded on the plane, and who aren't going to take the time to repack things carefully once they're satisfied you're not trying to sneak a bomb or contraband onboard. (BTW, take EVERYTHING out of your case except the horn itself. A friend who flew to Phoenix last year for ITEC (Int'l Tuba-Euphonium Conference) had his tuba trashed because the Totally Stupid Assholes simply tossed his mouthpieces, practice mute, and metronome back into the flight case loose (and confiscated his valve oil and slide grease) instead of putting them back in the accessory compartment when they finished their inspection. And on top of that, the idiots TOSSED THE KEYS TO THE LOCK INTO THE CASE BEFORE CLOSING IT.)
  12. nethers

nethers Active Member

If you read the link I posted above, Doug Yeo suggests a way around that problem...
  13. rockvillebrassband

rockvillebrassband New Member

Are you going to be anywhere Washington DC? Richmond, VA, is about a couple of hours' drive south. If you have your horn with you, Rockville Brass Band would love to have you sit in. We rehearse Wednesday evenings.