flutter tongue

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by savewaterdrinkbeer, Jan 12, 2005.

1. any suggestions on the easiest way to flutter tongue?

someone said do i growl effect down ur instrument instead!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    flutter tongue
    easiest way
    ur instrument
    suggestions
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

there are 2 common effects that can be categorised under "flutter tongueing"
    1. the growl you mentioned - this doesn't involve the tongue at all - it's more of a continental rolled r in the back of the throat.
    2. fluttering is done with the front of the tongue, and is simply a rolled r sound while pushing plenty of air through the instrument. listen to operatic singers to get the feel of the rolled r sound, and then work on this, slowly closing the lips to form your emb. You'll get it eventually.
    It's one of those things that's harder to describe in words than it actually is to do...

Kepps

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I love flutter tongueing.... takes some practise though... cant describe how I do it though.... ad lib I guess :p :lol:

Good luck :-D

5. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Try blowing down your insturment while 'rolling your R's'... if that makes any sense!!
    Although I think that method is something that some people just physically can't do.. bit like rolling your tongue i spose...

Can't be any more help than that, sorry!

6. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Was gonna say its like one of those things like rolling our tongue but TuTuKu beat me to it, i'll still say it

.......I presume its one of those things, like rolling your tongue!......

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

To roll your r's push the tip of your tongue onto your top gum, just behind your front teeth, and blow...you may need to experiment with the position of your tongue (stop sniggering at the back :rolleyes: ) but eventually you'll find that it will flap, or flutter. (as Neal said, this is harder to explian than to physically do)

You can practice the rolling sound anytime, anywhere (although you might get a few funny looks on the bus) - you don't need your instrument. Once you've got the hang of it you need to do exactly the same down your instrument. It can take a while but once you've got it it's just like falling off a bike - you never forget how to do it.

...oh and as far as I know everyone should be able to master flutter tonging. Unlike rolling your tongue which, if my memory of school biology classes is correct, you need the right gene to be able to do it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  8. groovy

groovy Active Member

Correct! Did that in Biology the other day. Keep persevering with the flutter-tonguing if you don't get it straight away, it took me a while to master. It might be easier if someone in your band can give you a demo!

9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

But I can't do it, every time I try (with or without instrument!) I just spit everywhere! Never been an R roller, I just canna do it!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't generally have a problem with flutter-tonguing, although it is undoubtedly harder to do with larger instruments: when playing for an opera production recently (on BBb), I had a sustained bottom C to be flutter-tongued, and found it quite awkward maintaining the volume and the pitch - important as it came at the end of a sequence of flutter-tonguing working down the orchestra.

11. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Never been a R Roller but found that if you try and recreate the sound of a cat purring it has the same effect. Not sure how this would sound on the upper instruments but have found it suitable for horn down to bass

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    flutter tongue
    easiest way
    ur instrument
    suggestions
  13. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I don't know about it being genetic but it is certainly something that people do naturally or they don't! I certainly can't do it, I keep trying but it jsut sounds like a sick snake without instrument and like a standard note with a really crap tone with instrument :shock: I am not saying it is impossible for someone to learn if it doesn't come naturally, but it's not easy. I have tried advice from quite a few sources and it doesn't seem to help me :-( I would be grateful for advice than anyone has, I can only keep trying :rolleyes:

14. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Try flurrering just down the mouthpiece, you will find this easier than blowing down the instrument. You will need a lot more air to flutter than usual. All you have to do is keep practicing.

To roll my R's I put my tongue slightly to the right of my mouth, touching my top and bottom teeth, blowing as much air as I can over my tongue.

Hope this helps.
    ;-)

15. swiss-hoerndli

swiss-hoerndli New Member

@top-horn
    come to switzerland and lern swiss-german, than the flutter tongue is no problem for you! Because we speak everytime with a "rolling R"! :-D

16. NeilW

NeilW Member

Singing as you play can produce a growl like sound too - particlarly if you're "nearly" the pitch your playing at. (there isn't a smiley with fingers in ears, is there?)

Neil.

17. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I'm Scottish ("Never!", I hear you say) and so when I say words like "green" and "purr" I roll my "r" anyway - so it's easier for me. Might be easier if when you're practising the rrrrrrrr sound you say "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" as if you're cold and then try and emulate what you do there when you have the mouthpiece on your chops.

It's very hard to explain it and I think a lot of English people don't roll their rrrs, so I can understand why they would have difficulty!

18. skweeky

skweeky Member

try putting the tip of your tongue at the roof of your mouth and holding it there while blowing with some force. Move the tongue towards the front of your mouth but still on the roof or move it towards the back until you find the most comfortable position. everyone will be able to do it, i cant imagine a gene needed to hold the tip of your tongue at the roof of your mouth??

19. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Nope, I really can't do it, I can hold my tongue there fine, but I can't make it roll (with or without instrument)...It really does feel like something that I'll never be able to do.....like wiggling my ears. I've tried all the suggestions so far, but no tongue rolling as yet!

20. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Sometimes I can roll my Rs, sometimes I can't. I also have that thing for which I can't remember the name which means I don't say my Rs very well anyway. (Bit like Jonathan Ross but not as noticeable). Would this have any effect one one's ability to flutter tongue or do I just have to keep practicing?
    BMB
    xx

21. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

one of the nicest (sort of...) markings I ever saw on a piece of music was "vicious fluttering" :biggrin:

22. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Personally, I don't think we should be rolling our 'r'ses on a family forum, but, there you go.

I usually find that, for me, breathing very heavily down both sides of the tongue is enough to create a fluttering effect. I'm not sure I'd reccommend the growl, as this is really a jazz technique and sounds different.

BMB, I heard you were a mean eyelash fluttererer, so I wouldn't worry about the tongue fluttering ;)