Flushing toilets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by strongbow, Sep 15, 2006.

1. strongbow

strongbow Member

I heard an advert for Mercedes this morning (at least I think it was Mercedes - don't do mornings very well especially on a Friday) and one of the facts mentioned was that toilets generally flush in Eb which is apparently a true fact.

However does this mean that the toilets in the Southern hemisphere flush in D# as the water goes the other way?:confused:

Can't help but picture little men in lab coats standing outside toilets with tuning machines! :rolleyes:
  2. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

No - I reckon its down a major Turd

Sorry if I didn't say it someone else would have
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's a myth that water goes down the drain a different way in the southern hemisphere. It just depends on the direction the water is introduced.
  4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

No, I think you'll find it's a bog standard concert A

5. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I saw that comment trotted out on the BBC site a few wks ago, but it doesn't hold true because if you fill the bath with water, turn off the taps & let it settle and then pull out the plug it STILL goes down the plughole in a circular motion - this is nothing to do with the way the water was introduced into thye bath (unless the water somehow has a 'memory'). Haven't been to S Hemisphere so I can't comment on whether the direction there is different but I think you'll find all your baths / sinks etc drain in the same direction (Clockwise in Barnsley - just tried it).

Surely the pitch the toilet flushes at would be a product of the water pressure in the cylinder, the diameter and length of the piping and the size of the bowl ?

HANNAH Member

I'm glad I'm not the only person who heard the mercedes advert and wondered if that 'fact' was really true! I'm yet to stand by the toilet with a tuner though!
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

From the US National Weather Service
  8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

You must be bored!
  9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Re: Coriolis force/rotation direction

For anyone who didn't watch 'Equator' a couple of weeks back - there's a chap in Africa who has three tables set up, one a few yards (say 20-30) north of the equator, one on the equator, another 20-30 yards south. Each table has a basin with a hole in the bottom. He pours water into each basin, and proves that the direction of rotation changes as you cross the line (and straight down when you're at the equator).

1) He changes the angle/direction that he pours the water depending on where he is, and

2) He charges tourists money for the demonstration of this 'fact'.

Generally, the shape of the basin decides how the water will flow, even if the water is at rest. I've never heard of a proper scientific study (using circular basins and a central plughole) that could prove otherwise - unless you know different?

As for toilets flushing in Eb - major or minor?
  10. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Some of the facts on that Mercedes advert are fascinating.

Apparently, in Alaska it's illegal to look at a moose from an aircraft:confused:
  11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

How can anyone rell?
  12. ju33les

ju33les Member

It phones the Elk line perhaps??
  13. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

****** hell there are some **** jokes on here. lol

*Edit by 2md* And some colourful language. Please try to stick to the sites fff rules, thanks. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2006
  14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure I saw a program on tv once that showed some bloke doing the plughole/equator test at either side of the equator and it proved true. The water did exit the bowl by spinning in opposite directions dependant on the side of the equator you're on. Any of our southern hemisphere contingent care to clarify whether it goes down the plug anti-clockwise down there?

On topic...Isn't it the capacity of your bowl/cistern that determines the flush tone? That must be a factor??
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  15. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Yep, it is indeed a myth... if in doubt, always check out snopes for urban myths.

16. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Back to the original post... erm who has ever listened to work out what key toilets flush in?
  17. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Frankly I find the connection between the key of E flat and carp (arrange as you will) offensive. This could only have been posted by a B flat player! :p
  18. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Lol :clap: thats true!