Flugelhorn Player looking for band in York area

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by leojamesflugel, Sep 9, 2011.

1. leojamesflugel

leojamesflugel New Member

Moving to York to do a music degree in October.
    Currently play for the Mossley band, but will be moving out of the area and as much as it saddens me to leave, I shall be in need of a new band.
    Message me with any info.
    Cheers guys.
    Leo.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    York
    band
    play

tubadaz Member

Hi Leo,

Which Uni are you going to?

The University of York has a Brass Band of it's own: University of York Brass Band

We rehearse on Sunday evenings from 7pm to 9pm, as well as other social activities, concerts, contests (including Whit Friday!) and a Remembrance Parade in Easingwold.

As well as the University Brass Band, there are two other Brass Bands in the City of York, Shepherd Group (of which I am a member) a first section band with 4 bands in the organisation and York Railway Institute, a 3rd section band (2nd from next year!) with at least 3 (if not 4) bands in the organisation.
    I don't think either of these bands is looking for a flugel player (I know Shepherds aren't!) but I can get you contact details for their respective Band Manager/Secretaries if you wish.

Regards,

Darryl

4. leojamesflugel

Hey, thanks very much :)
    I am going to the university of york to do a music degree. I play cornet also, but it's just not the same for me. I have had a look at some bands already. I actually emailed both York RI and Shepherds group! Seems nowehere needs a flugel player in york though. I jut wondered if there were any more I could be checking out.
    Suppose I could sit in on cornet and play the waiting game haha :)
    thanks again.
    Leo

5. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Hi Leo, there is Ebor Brass in York, depending how far you want to travel, there is a Band at Malton, Swinton, Kirkbymoorside, Hunmanby, Filey, Driffield, Hull x2, South Milford, Easingwold, Thirsk, Wetherby, Knaresborough, Harrogate plus a very good Wind/Concert Band, Ripon, plus a selection of Bands in the Leeds area.

John

6. leojamesflugel

Hey nook1938, thanks very much. I'll check then out.
    thanks again

7. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Hi Leo,

As far as the Uni Brass Band is concerned, don't worry about the fact that we already have a flugel player. We had two flugels all of the last year without any problems! :-D (One of them has now moved to do post-doc research in California! (Nice!!) Said the commute is a bit too long now - Lightweight!) :-D

You'll be more than welcome. Get yourself down to Freshers' Fair on Saturday 15th October, or the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall at 7pm the following day! :-D

Darryl

8. Leo,

Do you want to contest or not?

Driffield Band is about 45mins away from York and we do not contest. We have a healthy membership, but welcome everyone.

Check out our website to find out more.

9. leojamesflugel

Hey Flyingscot, I would like to contest unfortunately, and 45 mins sounds quite a distance as, as a poor student, I cant afford to drive...and my pedal bike wont allow for a flugel case :(! thankyou for the comment though.
    Leo