Flugelhorn Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flugelboy2011, Dec 29, 2011.

1. flugelboy2011

flugelboy2011 New Member

I am in the market for a ee flugel mouthpiece for brass and use. I currently play a Denis Wick 4F but are hearing good things about the Alliance range of mouthpieces. Can anyone provide any thoughts on these and what, if any, would compare to the 4F please. The DW produces a lovely tone but can become a little unfortarable when playing in the high register or for long periods of time. Thanks
  2. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

I play an Alliance 2wFL and its fabulous, it did take a while to get used to though. As with your Wick my upper register does suffer slightly but the mid range stuff is so much more in tune (even with the horns!) sorry ladies of HBB!
  3. flugelboy2011

flugelboy2011 New Member

Excellent thanks for that, unfortunately composers seem to write flugel music with high notes which is not ideally where they are meant to be played! Notes in the stave and below are where the best sounds are made. Have heard good things about the 2wfl which I believe has a slightly wider rim than a DW so should be more comfortable. Not sure if it would be too big a step up from a 4f though.
  4. dizzystinker

dizzystinker Member

It was a bold move when I did it but I think it was well worth it!
  5. dwplain

dwplain New Member

I have just switched to a Warburton 3FLX - the sound in the low and mid range is really mellow and round. I have to work hard on A above the stave and upwards - but it improves with the more practise I do. Stamina hasn't been an issue so far. Warburton have 3 variants on the flugel mouthpiece: FLM - bit bright for brass band work, FL - you would get away with this in brass band and will give you more support above the stave but the FLX really delivers the flugel sound I am looking for. Check out the specs at http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/trumpet-cornet-and-flugelhorn-mouthpieces.

If you are playing on a DW 4 then you would probably be looking at a Warburton 5. Also watch out for the shanks - there are 4 different fits Standard (fits perfect in my Eclipse), Bach (stamped with a B on the mouthpiece), French and Vintage (specially for Conn flugel).

Just try as many mouthpieces as you can and go with the one that you feel comfortable with and delivers the sound that you want in the register you play in most often. If it is hard work in the upper register - then put in the practise hours and you will soon get that sorted as well.

Good luck.
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I like the sound from the Alliance, but the (brief) go I had on one had a limited range, for me. My Warburton 5FL means C and D above the stave are doable.
  7. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

DW2FL you want.
  8. british1

british1 Member

No you don't want DW2FL nor do you want any other flugel mouthpiece. Please don't take any notice of people who say "You must" "You have to" because whatever they play on won't necessarily suit you. It's a very individual thing. Unfortunately, it will mean having to buy (or borrow) 2, 3 or 4 different mouthpieces and eventually you will know the one that's right. You obviously know which ones are the popular makes. Just give them all ago and eventually it will just click