flugel solo: where the player plays down a bass bell end?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigcol, Jul 21, 2003.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

What's that flugel solo where the player plays down the bell end of a bass called?

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I'd say it's called:
    "Flugel solo where the flugel player plays down the bell end of a bass"

What a great name..
  3. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Dunno if this is the one that you're thinking of, but we used to do that at Broseley Brass with Just a Song at Twilight.

Daniel Sheard
  4. Despot

Despot Member

Its a real solo.......saw 3 band bands do it on one day in Rhyll, a few back.

Can't remember the name though...........
  5. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Yeah, we played that one at Standish Band ages ago.

The bass player just stands there and presses his valves a lot... gives it an interesting tone.

Can't remember what it's called for the life of me though.
  6. tubatu

tubatu Member

I can remember seeing this on TV years ago and they were playing My Love is Like A Red, Red Rose.
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Isn't the famous one "Love's Old Sweet Song", arr. Howard Snell?

8. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Yep, "Love's old sweet Song" is the most famous one I've come across, however it's often Rep that plays the solo.
    The flugal solo "Children of Sanchez" SHOULD start with the cornets playing into or over the bass section bells, with us "twiddling like hell". No band seems to do it though :-(

9. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

This has been done lots with different pieces - you can use any piece you like as long as it's slow (needs to be to hear the effect). The tuba player then has to trill one of his valves to get the full effect.
  10. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

We did it when we were doing it Phil. Best the front row ever sounded :wink:
  11. markyboy

markyboy Member

This particular gimmick was first used by Britannia Building Society Band in their various entertainment conntest successes of the late 1980's so I believe. I have a video of BBS playing 'Loves old sweet song' played by the then Flugel player Kirsten Thomas down then bell of bass player Sid Wood on Granada Band of the Year in 1987. It is very effectic and also very funny to watch with the rapport Kirsten and Sid had between each other during the performance.
    At that time Howard Snell did a lot for new entertaining pieces, another one was 'Duet for two cats' which always went down great when performed well.
  12. markyboy

markyboy Member

Having just read my last posting I sound like a total anorak,but it is all true.
    By the way to the person who I lent the video to I would like it back please. I believe you also have my copy of 'Swedish Nympho Nurses'. If your wife finds out you will be in BIG trouble.
  13. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I think you'll find it was used earlier than that. I remember seeing it on Best of Brass on BBC2 in the early 80's???

I liked this one. :D
  14. McChambo

McChambo Member

Does this have the aforementioned special 'bell end effect' in as well?!?
  15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Yes it is, we did it at Rainford a few years ago and it was very good where the flugel plays the solo into a bass's bell as they twiddle their valves. It's good if done properly.