Flugel player looking for band in Surrey area ???(post areas)

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by simonwhte, Mar 13, 2006.

1. simonwhte

simonwhte New Member

Hey there im a music student studying at roehampton and was looking to joini a band locally,i have been playing in salvation army bands from the ageof 7 and started contest banding at 14 and will next week be playing in 1st section regionals with Becontree Brass Band, im wondering about what vacancies for flugel players in the surrey area(or further afield but transport would need to be available)?im ideally looking to get back to playing flugel as ive played cornet in contesting band recently because of a lack of cornets,I have just Began Studying with David Wright(Coldstream Guards) and have started working towards my ABRSM diploma, I passed ABRSM Grade 8 at the age of 17 and have played with national youth orchestras , i look forward to hearing from you

2. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Roehampton Inst. - ex Southlands College in Wimbledon?

A few good bands near you - no idea baout vacancies though - Fulham band are a great bunch, Crystal Palace are a good band too.

Where are you living? You don't want to be saddling youself with an epic journey in cost or time really...

I remember having to catch 3 Buses and a 35 minute walk to get to Crystal Palace Rehearsals... On the way back if i was delayed on my stroll i would have to wait for a nightbus to arrive!!! Ah student days!

3. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Simon, i've emailed you with some suggestions!

DH

4. Owen S

Owen S Member

Hi Simon, we don't have a flugel vacancy at the moment, but depending on exactly where you're living, we're probably the most convenient band for you to get to. You'd be more than welcome to come down for a blow any time after the areas.

We're a friendly band, just relegated from first to second section, but hoping to do well again this year. Our bandhall, with its own bar, is about a minute's walk from Egham station, and this is on the main line from London Waterloo that comes through Clapham Junction and Richmond.

PM me or GJG on here if you'd like more information. Thanks.

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Hi Simon,
    I'm not sure if Guildford's too far out for you?
    We have a great flugel at the mo, but we are short of a front row cornet if you're interested (and we have a habit of swapping about every so often!). www.friaryguildfordband.co.uk

6. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I'll vouch for Simon! Hes a good lad, and a good young prospect to have in your band! Hes come in at short notice and is playing 2nd ct for us at Stevenage, as both our normal 2nds are unavailable. Very keen and very reliable, great technique and solid sound.
    We'd love him to come and play front row for us permanently, as i've told him, but understand that its a big trek from Wimbledon over to Ilford for him.

7. simonwhte

simonwhte New Member

just to clear up some confusion i dont live in Wimbeldon, i actually live in Redhill that why im so reluctant to travel into london as its a long commute and im still unfimiliar im looking for bands around Redhill,Reigate,Croydon and that sort of area.Thanks

8. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

9. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

10. simonwhte

simonwhte New Member

im topping this up because im still looking for a band,i also have conducting experience and have won 3 out of 3 contests i have led my old band through,

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    Flugel
    Surrey
    band
    Grade 8
  12. Owen S

Owen S Member

Simon, if you only really want a flugel position rather than cornet, I think you'll need to actively contact some of the other bands in the area. Bbbrec's link should give contact details for many of them, though the page is about five years out of date. Off the top of my head, Epsom and Ewell, Crystal Palace and Croydon are probably the closest to you.